April Update - Deer Food Plot
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on April Update - Deer Food Plot within the Hunting Cabin/Fishing Lodge forums, part of the PRC Member Information Hub category; ** Updates Below ** I finally put the ranger to work helping us fence in an area that will eventually become a small food plot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April Update - Deer Food Plot

(Mark) Regular Member CorpusChristiRanger's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

** Updates Below **

I finally put the ranger to work helping us fence in an area that will eventually become a small food plot at our deer lease. Stringing wire was a breeze. I found an old receiver base that use to hold my BBQ pit on my pickup back when we tailgated at the Dallas Cowboy games many years ago. I discovered that a roll of barb wire mouts nicely to the top which helped speed up the wire stringing process. Additionally, it provided a good base for the come-along for tightening wire. In the end we had a 30X60 yard area that should keep the cows out. We'll be disking and planting hopefully in the near future!

Disk & Lime

Last weekend we got some disking done with the ranger. We modified a three point hitch disk to fit on a ball receiver. The ranger struggled with 20 disks cause the soil was fairly wet and soft and the tires dug a bit. We removed part of the front disks leaving 15 and it sailed like a tractor. After we disked the area, we spread about 500 pounds of lime because the PH is fairly acidic. In the coming weeks, we'll be laying down some seed to see how it does. Some pics below of how it turned out so far.

March 6 Weekend Update

Seed is down. We purchased Tecomate's LabLab Plus and broadcasted it this past weekend. My dad put together a rake and compactor with mostly stuff he had lying around the shop. It worked real good and now we are hoping for some rain to get this thing started. This is our first go at this so were are anxious to see how the efforts turn out. Next we'll be hot wiring the perimeter to give the plot a chance to grow free of hogs and deer.

Three Weeks after Seeding

We got some growth in the three weeks following seeding. Plants are small at this stage but show some promise. We got the hot wire installed to keep the hogs out. It appears to be working. It is a battery powered unit charged by a solar pannel that was purchased at Tractor Supply.

We decided to help the plants along by irrigating. We purchased a sprinkler head from a specialty store and constructed a stand out of PVC. Connected a one inch hose to a 2" Pacer Pump with a 5HP Honda Engine that was rated for 200gpm. Water was hauled in on a 1000 gallon trailer and was sufficient for this size plot. The pump did really well. It had lots of pressure on the discharge and covered a pretty decent area in a stiff wind.

Video Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj4qrH-PieE

Seven Weeks after Seeding

The irrigation helped out. Also we got over three inches of rain. The lab lab is off to a great start but the grain sorghum seems to be developing slower. Overall, this product appears to do well in heat.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Great Idea for the Ranger
    Steve Lane
    PRC Member# 5117
    Sidexside World Member# 152
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/absea/prc109.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/absea/s57.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...SW_Profile.jpg

2010 Red Ranger Crew, Polaris Tip-out Windshield, Rear Panel, & Steel Roof and Boss Snow Plow from Ball Equipment.

(doug) Supporting Member dlineman1's Avatar
    Member #

ranger at your work

Looks like it help do a fine job.Next step will be to hauling that big buck

dlineman1 prc9756

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    That was a great idea. I've strung many an acre of barbed fire fence and any way to make it easier is welcomed. Thanks for the write up.

2010XP, 2" Prolift, 26" Bighorns on ITP SS 108, Polaris steel cab, tool bar with spare tire mount, EMP cv boot guards, dual batteries, Viper 4000 lb. winch, fog lights, reverse lights, cab light, extreme front bumper, SuperATV extreme rear bumper, SuperATV curved front fender protectors, HID lights, Polaris custom steering wheel, Polaris running boards, Rugged Ridge fire extinguisher holder, Big Sky gun rack, Dual storage boxes, Maier Custom Hood, OTRATTW switches, Imperial Aux. fan., BA Forward A Arms.
    "keep your powder dry"
    "When in doubt...choke them out!"

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    March 6 Update posted above...

Supporting Member
    (Rich) PRC/SSW Moderator RZR Rich's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Looking good Mark / nice pics !! Keep us posted.
    Rich

(pete) Veteran Member peterb803's Avatar
    Member #
    Great ingenuity...!! Good looking food plot...I know that will be a success.
    For piggies and deer.

Now........if ya need any help with those south texas deer.........

keep the pics coming....

(Dan) Starting Member Fishingtiger's Avatar
    Member #
    be sure to post some updated pics of the plots coming up.

(daryl) Regular Member tnbowhunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Looks great! I like your homemade rake-compactor, looks like it would work really well.
    Now all you need is a good soaking rain to get the seed off to a good start.
    BTW, I planted LabLab a couple of years ago in a 1/2 acre plot, the deer loved it.
    "It is not through knowledge, but through experience of the world that we are brought into relation with it."
    __Albert Schweitzer

Red 2010 Ranger 800 XP.
    Factory top and windshield. Front receiver hitch, 3000lb Venom winch.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the comments tnbowhunter.

I added a few more pictures and a video clip updating through April. Sometime in June I hope to get some updated pictures. So far so good. We're already begging to see some deer tracks in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links