PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

Summer Doors

6K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  RJ 
#1 ·
I’m looking for ideas about an alternative door on the Ranger. What I am looking at is lift gate type of attachment with a single attachment point at the top rear of the door material that swivels down on to the floor and set inside the foot well. I have made a proto type out of cardboard with a single screw holding it in place. Flimsy single layer cardboard has held up to speeds of 45 MPH and seemed to block out about 60% of the dust kicked up by the front wheels. I am thinking the final product will be made of a polypropylene mud flap 30” x 15”. I would like to go up to 24” tall but that will restrict the entry into the ranger to much when in the up position.

What I need from you is your thoughts on how to make this work. I want to eliminate the full doors for summer.
All ideas will be considered.
Thanks for your consideration!
Here are couple of concept photos from my testing:
Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Automotive exterior Car
Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Tire Automotive wheel system

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You said any and all. So... How about Velcro at the front, right in the door jam. And the back attachment point, use the rubber grommets like they've used on the glove box and seat bottoms on the older models. Would pivot nicely and make for easy removal.

#3 ·
Interesting idea. Thanks

#4 ·
You inspired me Joe. Picked up some hpde and backed it with plywood. Hinges are going to work good. Just mocked up. Going to coat the play with black enamel. Haven't decided what to use for latches yet. Gettin there

Automotive tire Tire Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle

Reactions: arcticzale
#5 ·
RJ, That is cool. What are you going to use to lock it in place when moving? I could easily mock up a hinge for my mud flap May need to stiffen it a bit.

#6 ·
Think I am going to use the soft door frame as a template and put 1/4" HDPE skin on it. I have the idea for the hinges but I need latches for both sides. I am looking for two door latches just like what is on the Polaris Ranger soft side doors. The door pin appears to be about .75” diameter so it is nearly impossible to find a slam latch of that size. I don’t want to go to popo to buy. Any good ideas out there? One idea I got from my friend Marty is using a seat belt for the latch. Weld the male end onto the door frame and the female onto the frame. If you have heard or seen something like this send a picture please.
7081740 ASM., HANDLE, LH
7081814 ASM., HANDLE, RH $140.00 each from my locak dealer.

#7 · (Edited)
Well, this is what I ended up with and am totally satisfied. Just got back from a 50mph run down a bumpy road and no rattles.

The plywood was too heavy for the one hinge. So I just used a couple of oak spars to stiffen it up and is working fine. I made a beveled hinge block so the bottom of the door hits first by a fair amount and tightens up nice when you pull it closed and latch it. Ended up finding latches at the local big box stores. A little black paint on the wood and calling it good. Maybe an orange army star on the doors to finish it off.

Tire Machine Auto part Wheel

Wood Architecture Table Furniture Door

Technology Automotive exterior Electronic device Audio equipment Subwoofer

Vehicle Asphalt Tire Floor Automotive wheel system

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Reactions: pierre jean
#8 · (Edited)
Rj, Looks real good. I take it the hdpe was not stiff enough to support itself without the plywood? What thickness of plywood? Interesting choice of a latch.
I am considering a couple of options. 1 welded steal frame around the whole door. cost here is $105. for a 1/4" x 96" x 54" black stabilized sheet.

#9 ·
It was too flimsy without some support. Do.you have a Menards where you're at? A 4x8 sheet was $58. If you stay in the door jamb where i did, it's a flat surface without any bends. No use of the factory bolt catch though. Im pretty happy with the one i chose. Just a simple push pin. The foam i put around the door holds everything tight. If you put some heat to the hpde bend it and cool it with a wet cloth it holds its.shape nice. Cool.stuff to work with.

#10 ·
I am moving ahead on the idea of summer doors. I have acquired an 4' x 8' by 1/8" HDPE in black. I have ordered two round boat hatch slam latches. At this point I am planning on using the canvas door frame as a template to make a 1/2" steel frame and attach the HDPE with either pop rivets or screws. This project is still in the planning stage and I am open to suggestions. Wish me luck. I will try to take pictures along the way, no promises.

#11 ·
Where did you source the 4 x 8 sheet? I am really interested in pics, so it would be much appreciated if you can get us some.

#12 · (Edited)
I have a friend who is a fantastic welder that has volunteered to do the needed welding for summer doors. We are using the canvas door frame as the pattern. He put gussets and curves in the frame and it matches the contour of the body perfectly. We did just the driver's side and took it for three major rides of about 125 miles all together, NO RATTLES. The only weak place was the door latch I tried to use, a boat locker latch. Not enough throw to the latch system. So I have decided to use the latch system off the original doors. If anyone has a pair of OEM door latches they want to get rid of????

View attachment 126999 View attachment 127001 View attachment 127003 View attachment 127005 View attachment 127007 View attachment 127009

#13 ·
Well the HDPE came in white and it matches the white on my Ranger. I have a friend who is great welder and has excellent eye judgement to put things together so they fit very well. I tried and tossed the small boating hatch latches. I went with the OEM hinges and door latches off the canvas doors. I’ll just have to swap them back and forth as needed.
My next goal is to put in some kind of weather stripping. It will need to be pretty thick to fill the gap between the body and the door. I had a test ride with it last week and they actually sucked in more dust than I would have gotten without doors. I am thinking a combination of on the body and on the door to get a good seal on the front edge and bottom. The back may just be a single piece of weather stripping.

#14 ·
Good deal! Home depot has a pretty good selection of weather stripping. Believe i seen some 3/4 inch stuff on the shelf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.