PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

Michigan street legal insurance

8K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Woopya 
#1 ·
Anyone in Michigan have their ride street legal with street insurance and what company? Called every major insurance company and only offered off road insurance. Thanks

#3 ·
State Farm for sure will insure your unit as a street legal machine.

MI only offered street legal ATV's & UTV's for i believe one year and you had to go through many hoops to get legal. I dont think many people spent the time and money to get their ride certified so insurance will be hard to get.
Once you could, then you couldn't and then back to being able to. However, the people in Lansing DO NOT want us to be able to do it so they are holding everyone to the letter of the law. Which means you need a parking brake that is separate from the standard brake system on 2 wheels. As of now that can be a deal breaker for most.....

#12 ·
State Farm for sure will insure your unit as a street legal machine.

Once you could, then you couldn't and then back to being able to. However, the people in Lansing DO NOT want us to be able to do it so they are holding everyone to the letter of the law. Which means you need a parking brake that is separate from the standard brake system on 2 wheels. As of now that can be a deal breaker for most.....
I found A Parking Brake on Amazon. It's called "Springy Thingy" and sells for about $80.

#5 ·
I have a neighbor that made his Polaris Ranger XP legal. State required glass laminated windshield w/wiper washer, DOT tires, hand brake, turn signals, lighted licence plate, horn, insurance and probably a couple things i forgot. Windshield alone was $1300 not including wiper/washer seems like he said close to $4000 when all done.

#6 ·
Yep, thought about it. But for the price to get it done...may as well get a beater jeep or dune bug. Im lucky enough its legal to ride most of the secondary roads in my township.

Reactions: Stroke250
#7 ·
My little county in MN is pretty good about the use on secondary and plenty of gravel roads. Get a ag tag if one goes through a ditch or two.
Will have to check into laws in south TX. Plenty of golf carts moving about but rare to have anything above 20 mph. Be nice to use to go to store etc as most things are less than five miles from the rv park and less than 4 miles north of Mexican border

#9 ·
Once you could, then you couldn't and then back to being able to. However, the people in Lansing DO NOT want us to be able to do it so they are holding everyone to the letter of the law. Which means you need a parking brake that is separate from the standard brake system on 2 wheels. As of now that can be a deal breaker for most.....[/QUOTE]

Found a parking brake for you , they come in many sizes -

Anchor Water Vehicle Sculpture Art

#10 ·
Found a parking brake for you , they come in many sizes -

View attachment 127073
[/QUOTE]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.