I think I hit the sweet spot
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on I think I hit the sweet spot within the General Member Discussions forums, part of the The RANGER STATION ~ Rangers and RZRs category; In January if picked up a '04 Ranger 500, DOA. Knew very little about it but came with a blade and winch. Wanted to get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: I think I hit the sweet spot

(Roger) Starting Member chieffan's Avatar
    04 Ranger
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

In January if picked up a '04 Ranger 500, DOA. Knew very little about it but came with a blade and winch. Wanted to get it running first to find out if engine, tranny, etc was good. The carb that was on it would not left fuel through. Engine would run as long as fuel was sprayed in the cylinder first. Bought a aftermarket carb, got it running but not good. Drove good, Hi side was out but could live with that. Made other repairs all the while trying to get that pilot adjusted so it start cold, idle decent and start hot. Went back to the 2-1/2 turns out several times to start over. Couple days ago I went back to the 2-1/2 starting point again. Not right. Made a tiny adjustment and bingo ! Starts cold or hot, idles good but not for long periods like 30 seconds or more but that's OK by me. Used it again this morning and worked great. I think I was adjusting the pilot to much at a time. I know for now I am not touching it. Few more little things and I can really enjoy the old girl, even though it is hot to ride in in hot weather. Has a hard top and back with canvas doors. Old school stuff. I have more in it in tires, brakes, rotors, etc. than I paid for it and sold the blade for $300 so about at the break even point.
    thestir likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    439 times
    I hope you have tho oem carb. I would give it a good cleaning and put it back on. The China knock off carb I wasted money on is junk in comparison.
    RJ likes this.
    2007 Ranger 500 (Carb)

RJ
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    If you're at the break even point, give the old girl a little love and get a working OE carb. She'll purr like a kitten and won't puke on ya in 30 seconds. Will be nice to load up the bed with whatever without having it stall on you.
    2018 1000 XP Titanium Matte Metallic
    Lock n ride glass windshield and roof
    MMA lift
    27-11-14 Tusk Trilobites
    G5 tune

Past rides
    2004 Ranger. 2x4 with trusty 425
    Built like a tank and still running strong.

2012 800 XP LE
    Wire chaffing fuel pump eater but never left me stranded!

2016 900 XP Titanium Matte Metallic

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

(Roger) Starting Member chieffan's Avatar
    04 Ranger
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I have the OEM carb. Been cleaned and a kit put in. Would not even start let alone run with it on. This after market carb has been working good for about 3 weeks now. Idles good, fires right up. Runs out OK though it only has the Lo range. Just took a lot of fiddling to get it adjusted right. Was turning the pilot to far at a time. As long as this one is working it will stay on the machine. If the time comes, I can have the OEM rebuilt and try it again I guess. I understand your dislike for aftermarket anything which is fine when you have unlimited funds to throw at it. I am not in that position. Just because you guys couldn't make an aftermarket carb work don't mean they are all junk.

(Roger) Starting Member chiefsfan's Avatar
    04 500 Ranger 4X4
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Had to re-register as site would not accept my password. Just for kick & grins I tried the HI range this morning. Went right in and worked great. The issue is after the engine runs a while and warms up, the idle speed increases and HI won't engage, just grinds so haven't been using it. Why would the idle increase after warming up?

2015 900xp le
    Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Oil-lubricants thin down and the jugs get a bit looser. Things just run a bit better when everything is warmed up. Well you have found the issue of shifting you can just live it like the carb and just turn off and shift into high and restart.

Member #
    Liked
    2045 times
    " Why would the idle increase after warming up?" Roger, just a thought ,could be sucking some vacuum somewhere after warming up.
    chiefsfan likes this.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting WHAT A RUSH, WHAT A RIDE. WHOA !

2007 Polaris Ranger700 XP LE

2015 900xp le
    Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    If thats the case watch the plugs closely to see if they show a color thats not a tan but getting closer to white.
    One can spray wd-40 or brake cleaner around intake manifold and see if you get a rpm change to see if there is as jungle thinks a air leak

04 500 Ranger 4X4
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Warming up/heat I don't think is the reason. Items get larger when hot, not smaller. Thought about the vacuum leak but this carb, as far as I can find out, does not have a vacuum other than through the carb to draw fuel and air through the air cleaner. There are 2 plastic lines that attach to the back side of the carb that go to open air. Not a lot of information on this in the manual. This is a Mikuni carb on this Ranger. This unit was really abused and neglected by PO so nothing would surprise me. Will do some checking around the intake, etc. Also pull the plug in the morning and see what it looks like. Been around a lot of different gas engines but this is a first. Appreciate the suggestions.

04 500 Ranger 4X4
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Can anyone verify that the line connected to the two barbs on the back top of the carb are to go to open air or are they supposed to be connected some place ??
    On this one the end of the line hangs down in the front of the engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links