PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and long story short I just picked up a 02 500 ranger 4x4 for a great deal, and now I'm working on changing out of the fluids. I've been able to change everything but the transmission. The fill plug is easy to find however the drain plug is alluding me 馃檨. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Registered
The bottom of trans. Going to have to crawl for it. Can get to it through a hole in the skid plate. Hex 5/16 if I recall. If you use the metric, there is a good chance of stripping it out. Verify the fitment either way.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help but I guess I'm blind bc I can't find it. The bottom of the transmission is smooth and I can't find anything there. The front and rear gear cases were easy to find. I've cleaned the bottom of the transmission and there's nothing there. Are you supposed to pump out the fluid? Thanks

Registered
Go to the Polaris web site. They have downloadable owners manuals (hopefully they still have yours). Good Luck.
PS: I believe that your tranny has a drain near the bottom on the left side of it.

Mike

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
So the owners manual on Polaris only shows were the fill plug is located and the video that Polaris had online only shows an oil change. When I get home tonight I'll take a picture of what I've got and hopefully that'll help. Thanks again for so the help I really appreciate it!

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Agreed. Yes I was able to get the manual but it only shows the fill plug which is on top. It says you should drain and replace every 100 hours but doesn't show the location of the drain.....

Registered
This is a major generalization, but generally the drain plugs and fill are on the same side of the component being drained/filled. Obviously the drain is below/lower than the fill. Can you post a picture of the unit showing the fill plug and whatever is below it?

Mike

Registered
I believe you'll find the drain plug on the front of the case on the driver's side of the output shaft. It'll be a hex head and not an Allen.

Registered
Hi I just saw your post and I might be able to help you. I have a 2003 Series 11 Ranger 500 4x4 . The transmission drain plug on mine is on the front of the transmission at the bottom near the mount to the frame on the passenger side. I took a couple of pics to show you where to look. Hope this helps. Joe
IMG_0321.JPG
IMG_0322.JPG

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
That's it! Thank guys for all the help! Now I just need to figure out how to replace the drivers rear axel... Lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts