PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

'02 Ranger Series 10 6x6 Transmission Grinding into High Range

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Rangerwhit 
#1 ·
I was reading an old post (2013) concerning a problem where the the machine grinds while attempting to shift into High. Sometimes it will go and sometimes not. More of the "Not" these days. The only dealer nearby here in the Atlanta area that will work on it, says it is the transmission and wants about $1200 to rebuild/repair. I can't spend that kind of money on this old 6x6 machine. So I started by doing research and removing the clutch cover and discovered as my research revealed that the scondary clutch is spinning in idle. I have checked the play in the belt (Have 1 & 1/8"), I adjusted the idle to 1000 RPM and it still spins. I lodged a 2x4 against the secondary while spinning and stopped it, and it shifts to high with no problem. As soon as I remove the 2x4, it starts spinning again.

I noticed the Primary of this vintage has no bearing on the shaft. BTW, Alignment is fine too. The friction of the belt resting on the Primary shaft at idle is moving the belt which is pulling the secondary clutch. Maybe I can counteract this by installing a newr clutch with a bearing on the center shaft (Non EBS) type) Maybe that will remedy the problem, I don't know. The question is, What is it in the transmission that provides enough resistance to not allow the Secondary clutch to be spun by the friction from the belt on the Primary?

I tried to go to the video Jerry posted but it will not let me access it.

See less See more
#3 ·
There is a bushing on the primary on my 07 500. Have you blown out the dust on the clutches? Different belt? Many factors involved. I would avoid the stealer for sure. If you can shift into any gear while shutdown, crank it in gear and it works fine, likely not a trans issue at all.

Per the 05-07 500 service manual:

NOTE: To determine if shifting difficulty or problem is caused by an internal transmission problem, isolate
the transmission by disconnecting linkage rod from transmission bellcrank. Manually select each gear range
at the transmission bellcrank, and test ride vehicle. If it functions properly, the problem is outside the
transmission.
If transmission problem remains

Welcome to the site Gman.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.