PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there that big of difference between a 04 Ranger 500 and a 05? I know they changed the rear end and something changed on installing a winch. Any input would be appreciated.

I don't own one yet but am looking. I do have a budget of $7500. I am in Arizona and they appear to be a little higher priced here.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
04 is non independent rear, 05 is like the 06 and 07. Much better ride from what i have heard.

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
I know that somewhere along the line Polaris did something to improve the steering, but I don't recall when that change was made.

·
Registered
126 Posts
biggest difference is the independent rear suspension and the lock and ride bed. to me the ind. rear is the most important thing to have if you will be trail riding. if you are only working it the straight rear is great but it will not ride near as comfortable.

·
SSW Moderator
5,627 Posts
Independent rear suspension is the biggest difference, I'm not for sure but I think the late 05s'there were some with electronic fuel injection. But not for sure, I know they had them in 06.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I believe the hitch size in the back is different also.

~Lynette

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have an 05' and the IRS is great, and Lynettes right, they went from a 1 1/4" hitch to the more common 2". Unfortunately, I bought my 05' in late 04' and later in the year they came out with the XP and soon after that a 500 EFI! If i would have known, I would have waited.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Think I will pass on the '04. I do want to do some rougher trail riding in the hills and would benefite from the better rear-end. I do know that each year there is usaully something better; that's how they keep us coming back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts