PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,thanks in advance for any info. I have a 06 ranger 700xp . First off I'll say that I have read most of the threads about replacement parts and such and this site is really helpful. I'm pretty mechanically savy and I do most repairs and services myself. Since I've owned this ranger I've used a lot of info on here to work out most of the little bugs and such and get my ranger running pretty good. I had a suspicion that I had a tps going bad (previous owner spliced into it deleting the connector) Long story short I bit the bullet and took it to the dealer just for a diagnostic welfare check . They are telling me that all is well ,but during inspection the mechanic checked my fuel pressure and thinks my pump is starting to fail ,I asked how so because it's something that I've checked and it was healthy. He said that it is healthy when it's running but as soon as you shut it off it drops out and it is suppose to hold pressure ,so he thinks the regulator is starting to fail.Hmmmm... Sounds fishy but I have dealt with these guys a lot for parts and they are all good guys so I don't want to assume the worst here but for $800 and some change for the whole assembly to be installed I just can't justify it.( not made of money) I've checked out all the replacement parts as far as the fuel pump goes ,but I don't see a lot about the regulator. Kinda stuck here not sure what to do at this point. Thanks again!

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
They all tend to fall off a bit when the pump is turned off. There is no aftermarket regulator. If I remember correctly its a full assembly with a new tank. Its easy to change so I'd say $800 is high. I'd drive it and wait for it to show signs of failure.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Hi all,thanks in advance for any info. I have a 06 ranger 700xp . First off I'll say that I have read most of the threads about replacement parts and such and this site is really helpful. I'm pretty mechanically savy and I do most repairs and services myself. Since I've owned this ranger I've used a lot of info on here to work out most of the little bugs and such and get my ranger running pretty good. I had a suspicion that I had a tps going bad (previous owner spliced into it deleting the connector) Long story short I bit the bullet and took it to the dealer just for a diagnostic welfare check . They are telling me that all is well ,but during inspection the mechanic checked my fuel pressure and thinks my pump is starting to fail ,I asked how so because it's something that I've checked and it was healthy. He said that it is healthy when it's running but as soon as you shut it off it drops out and it is suppose to hold pressure ,so he thinks the regulator is starting to fail.Hmmmm... Sounds fishy but I have dealt with these guys a lot for parts and they are all good guys so I don't want to assume the worst here but for $800 and some change for the whole assembly to be installed I just can't justify it.( not made of money) I've checked out all the replacement parts as far as the fuel pump goes ,but I don't see a lot about the regulator. Kinda stuck here not sure what to do at this point. Thanks again!
Ok, I have noticed the pressure fall off on "key on" on these older 700 Rangers and with NEW pumps in them so I am at a loss as to whether it is an actual problem or an impending problem or not a problem . Two instances come to mind ,a 2009 700 with a thousand miles on it, key on , fuel pressure shoots up to 41 and slowly drops to 36 psi and kinda hangs at that pressure. A 2007 with a new pump shoots up to 41 psi and rapidly drops to 30 psi and then eeks downward from there. The fuel pressure on BOTH vehicles immediately jumps to 41psi on start up and maintain that throughout the RPM range. As far a replacement REGULATOR goes, I have not done this but I have read that this one can be used to replace the 'guts' of stock ones used on the 700's. Amazon.com: Standard Motor Products PR210 Pressure Regulator: Automotive

If you read the only review, the buyer used it on a Po 700 with good results . That's all I know about it other than it looks like a fairly easy installation and I sure would use it before even thinking about buying a new fuel tank assembly. Did the Polaris service mechanic state what he thought the problem was with a pressure regulator that did not maintain pressure at the "key on" position as long as it starts and then maintains proper psi ? Is it a sign that regulator failure is in the near future ? If not can you contact him again and pose that question ? Inquiring minds want to know........tia

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I'm not positive about what he said but I'm picking it up today and I'm going to pick his brain. What I do remember is he said when the key is shut off the pressure drops out,and it's supposed to hold a certain pressure for a certain amount of time after key off. He said it's just a matter of time it could last forever or go out on me the next time I ride it. I'm gonna get all the facts straight when I pick it up,I just thought I'd get a jump on what I'm gonna do when I get it back. I'm certainly not gonna pay them to do it being such an easy swap. I just find it hard to believe that an entire tank assembly Is needed to fix some of these issues,they kinda screwed us with that design. I did order the alba aftermarket pump just to have( because they are so cheap) but it's not going to do anything about the regulator issue. I will know more when I pick it up today,thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Thank you for getting back to us with that information. I would really like to find a solution , if one is necessary, before our dear friends at Po decide to charge two thousand dollars for a "gas tank assembly" just to get a regulator for a 700 Polaris........ Yes, it could happen.....

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Any additional info on the fuel pressure regulator ? tia

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it seems the regulator is a part that's just not available. My fuel pressure was dropping out very quickly.As much as I hate to say it I had to swallow my pride and let them do it. I asked what I could get the parts for to do it myself and the deal they gave me was only going to save me $50 . So in the end it wasn't worth it for me to do it. I was a victim of circumstance this time because I guide hunts for a living and I need my machine a week from now for a hunt. Otherwise I would have taken my time and found a better deal. Dammit why would you have to change an entire gas tank assembly for a regulator problem,stupid!

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Well it seems the regulator is a part that's just not available. My fuel pressure was dropping out very quickly.As much as I hate to say it I had to swallow my pride and let them do it. I asked what I could get the parts for to do it myself and the deal they gave me was only going to save me $50 . So in the end it wasn't worth it for me to do it. I was a victim of circumstance this time because I guide hunts for a living and I need my machine a week from now for a hunt. Otherwise I would have taken my time and found a better deal. Dammit why would you have to change an entire gas tank assembly for a regulator problem,stupid!
LK, did the mechanic mention what he thought the psi the fuel assembly was supposed to hold on key on position "to be considered good ? " That information is not available in any service manuals that I have ever seen.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I was only talking with the service writer so he didn't know exactly, I will find that out though before this is all over and post it.
Thanks LK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts