PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...I need some help..never had any issues other then a torn CV boot and thrashed drive belt. I bought this 3 years ago and its been running pretty good. Recently went for a drive and it started fine, ran fine for about a 1/4 mile and then started a noise that sounded like a baseball card flapping in you bike spokes. Soon after it started to lose throttle after I got it up to 30mph. When I backed off the throttle it ran fine at lower speeds for a minute or two, and then started splitting and sputtering. I had to limp back home. Shut it down and started it back up and would idle fine, but as soon as I gave it throttle (in neutral) it happened again. My backyard mechanic in me says it feels like a fuel issue. But I know nothing about these toys, so I hope some one could help me. Bad Gas? Fuel Pump? TIA...

·
Registered
2005 Ranger XP 800
151 Posts
Sounds like fuel pump or filter or pressure regulator (part of the pump assembly in the tank)

or bad gas, like you said

·
Registered
25 Posts
There's also a sock filter on the fuel pickup(at least on mine there is) that could be plugged. I had this issue on my 07 and found the black canister that holds the factory filter to be separated which was allowing the fuel to circulate into the tank. Measure the fuel pressure. Easiest way I know to find out what's going on.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Definately check the fuel pressure . 39 psi +/- 3.

Could be the pump/ in tank canister filter / fuel assembly fuel line up to the line out of the tank or the regulator ........ Always remove the tank and clean it before installing new parts. You will be shocked on what you find in there.

Reactions: summermn
1 - 5 of 5 Posts