PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my TPS, and need to adjust the idle screw to get the throttle plate to close completely. The previous owner/mechanic used plyers on the screw and now the D-tool just spins when i try and use it. I may be able to use plyers on it, but I'd like to find a replacement idle screw so that I can use the D-tool to properly adjust.

I have not been able to contact Keihin the TB manufacturer, and the local Polaris dealer says the factory service told them "if you touch the screw the TB is useless"...my response was, the service manual says you have to adjust it to properly set the new TPS so that doesn't make any sense. That said, the dealer can't get me a screw and I have been unable to find one online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

·
Administrator
7,944 Posts
crom, take anything........a Dremmel etc and cut a slot in the D screw and then uses a small slotted screwdriver to adjust. The deadly "DON"T TOUCH THE D SCREW is for the 2009 700's. 2009 was the first year that the TPS was set it and forget about the flow adjustment ....

Reactions: yooper265

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll check with my local dealer concerning the screw yooper mentioned to see if it matches.

Jungleman, I considered cutting the D as mentioned, but there's so little of it left. Perhaps if I remove the screw, cut the D off and the notch the screw body as suggested that would work. Thanks for the thoughts.

I've got it running now and idling around 1090 rpms (I believe that is in range?) I put a drop of RTV on the edge of the screw to keep it from vibrating out. If that doesn't work I'll remove the screw and notch it.

Is there a spring putting tension on the screw? It feels like there is, but the screw looks like a full body screw (threaded from top to bottom...I can see the threads where it contacts the butterfly arm) so I'm not sure where the spring would be or how it would sit on the screw. Anyone have a picture? I always prefer to know what it is supposed to look like before I take it apart.

Thanks for all the support!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'll check with my local dealer concerning the screw yooper mentioned to see if it matches.

Jungleman, I considered cutting the D as mentioned, but there's so little of it left. Perhaps if I remove the screw, cut the D off and the notch the screw body as suggested that would work. Thanks for the thoughts.

I've got it running now and idling around 1090 rpms (I believe that is in range?) I put a drop of RTV on the edge of the screw to keep it from vibrating out. If that doesn't work I'll remove the screw and notch it.

Is there a spring putting tension on the screw? It feels like there is, but the screw looks like a full body screw (threaded from top to bottom...I can see the threads where it contacts the butterfly arm) so I'm not sure where the spring would be or how it would sit on the screw. Anyone have a picture? I always prefer to know what it is supposed to look like before I take it apart.

Thanks for all the support!
Jungle man woN"t respond like a reelman he'll just bash you cus he hS KNOW IDEA saboit the subject then fuss about your grammer!

·
Administrator
7,944 Posts
Jungle man woN"t respond like a reelman he'll just bash you cus he hS KNOW IDEA saboit the subject then fuss about your grammer!
Ok Whackboy that's it ! I challenge you to a SPELLING CONTEST at ten paces !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok Whackboy that's it ! I challenge you to a SPELLING CONTEST at ten paces !
Yeah the problem is voice to text when it tries to auto correct it sounds weird, any way I'll try to improve.
On another note the problem with my 07 700 ranger that I posted a while ago and you responded appears to be the injectors, you were right the blue amazon type are weak and leak. Checked oil level and it was high and smelled like gas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts