PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 06 xp that dies after about 4-5 seconds and my dealer cant find out why. They have also called polaris and they do not seem to know. Its like the electrical system shuts down and every thing goes dead. They have replaced the ignition switch and a electrical module and that didnt help. Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on.

·
Registered
22,955 Posts
Do you have a good battery? I started mine up ok, but after about 5 seconds it stalled and the battery wouldn't start it again. It had not stalled like that before and I don't know if the weak battery caused it. I charged the battery and it did the same thing. A new battery took care of the problem.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Is it still under warranty? Have you had it wet? I remember someone posting here once that they washed their Ranger and then It wouldn't run something was unplugged around motor maybe under the bed.

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They said that the battery was good. It will start multiple times, but only run for few seconds. If you turn the key on and do not try to start it, the electrical system still shuts down after few seconds. It seems to have everyone stumped. Thanks for all of your replies.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Check your ground strap to the frame then from your frame to the engine i mean pull them off and clean them.If you suspect the fuel filter pull it out be carefull not to spill all the fuel out of it place a finger over both ends shake it vigourously then noteing which is the direction of flow dump the fuel threw a white rag backwards that will tell you the condition of the fuel. if these things fail try eloborating more.

Like by elec shutting down explain
5 seconds or so of running if you let it set overnight dose it run any longer.
Have you or the dealer jumped or charged the battery during this ordeal.

·
Registered
255 Posts
are you sure the problem is electrical and not a fuel or fuel vent problem? Several here have had vent lines kinked or plugged. A restriction in either of these could allow the engine to start and run for a short time,Scotty

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by biglda

They said that the battery was good. It will start multiple times, but only run for few seconds. If you turn the key on and do not try to start it, the electrical system still shuts down after few seconds. It seems to have everyone stumped. Thanks for all of your replies.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Could it be a curcut breaker or relay that is supplying power when key is on? Try disconnecting all accessorys and rear lights see what happens. If you wait after it shuts down without touching key, does it seem that the electrical system comes on again for a few seconds?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Unplug your ECM from under the hood and check both the plugs and the ECM for signs of burnt prongs, that is what happened to mine, it would run for 5 seconds and then shut off. Polaris said that there is no problem but they are working on a fix.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
With everything very quiet, turn the key to on, but not to start. Listen to your ranger for a click or a ping. Maybe you have a bad or weak circuit breaker that trips out after a few seconds.[xx(] If you hear the click, listen for the click when it resets itself, then track it down. Electrical problems are the worst. Just an idea, keep us posted and good luck.[:)] And welcome to the club, you'll like it here.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ran out and checked mine real quick and there are no auto breakers in the system

And desert rat how did they solve the problem ?? new plugs??

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
I believe Jerry made the comment about something being partially unplugged before on a similiar problem. Seems like it was on the driver's side of the engine. I can't recall what it was though. I will try and find that post.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by want2beyounger

With everything very quiet, turn the key to on, but not to start. Listen to your ranger for a click or a ping. Maybe you have a bad or weak circuit breaker that trips out after a few seconds.[xx(] If you hear the click, listen for the click when it resets itself, then track it down. Electrical problems are the worst. Just an idea, keep us posted and good luck.[:)] And welcome to the club, you'll like it here.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The circuit breakers are in the ECMs on 05s and 06s and when they get overloaded they burn the plugs, Im sure that is why Polaris changed the ECM and added fuses and relays to the 07s. so far we have three rangers down with this problem.[xx(]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all your ideas. I will print them off and take them to my dealer. I will keep you updated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts