PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
New to the site and the Ranger for that matter. Have owned a couple Sportsman 500 6x6’s for years now and they are impressive machines. Hoping the same will be true of the Ranger. Just bought an 07 Ranger 700 EFI 6x6. I’m needing to replace the mid drive axles on it but not having any luck finding any stock or aftermarket. Along with lots of other parts, the previous owner obviously didn’t do near enough maintenance But I got it for a great price so I don’t mind throwing some $$$ at it.
Was wondering if anybody knows the differences in the 07 (1332388, not available Polaris or aftermarket), 08 (1332504, available from polaris at a stupid price, not sure if it’s available aftermarket), and 09 (1332720, available Polaris and aftermarket) mid axles for a 700 efi 6x6 ranger. The mid gear cases, 1332389, (differentials) are all the same as well as the output shafts in them. The male output shaft splines stick out of the gear case. The axles have the female splines on the inboard side of the axle. The inboard joints of the axles have 3 different part #’s and so does the outboard joints. On the 07 & 08 the Differentials, A Arms, bearing carriers, bearings, and hubs are all the same part numbers telling me that although the axle part numbers are different they should be interchangeable. The 09 has different part #’s for the A Arms, and bearing carrier, but the differential, hub and wheel bearings are the same. I may be able to change A Arms and bearing carriers and just go with the 09 axles. Has anybody else ran into this problem, or more importantly, resolved this problem? Anybody know of a place to get dimensions by part # of the axles? I’ve checked out Super ATV, everything Polaris, Eastlake axle, and a little on eBay. Any suggestions on the technical info or companies to buy from would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bruce

·
Administrator
7,174 Posts
Bruce, it is going to be tough to find the right axles for your '07 without a ton of expense. I would say the $325.00 ones for the '08 would probably slide right in outa the box. In '09 Polaris did a ton changes and revamped the entire 4X4 frame etc and obviously some it spilled out onto the 6 X 6 . I don't imagine that enough of the 6X6's were sold to entice a aftermarket vendor to knock them off. A PRC member here (PEDE) I believe has some expierience with the 6X6's they used for the fire department but I am thinking he was using 2009's. You may look him up and start a conversation . Good luck !

·
Administrator
7,174 Posts
Bruce, it is going to be tough to find the right axles for your '07 without a ton of expense. I would say the $325.00 ones for the '08 would probably slide right in outa the box. In '09 Polaris did a ton changes and revamped the entire 4X4 frame etc and obviously some it spilled out onto the 6 X 6 . I don't imagine that enough of the 6X6's were sold to entice a aftermarket vendor to knock them off. A PRC member here (PEDI) I believe has some expierience with the 6X6's they used for the fire department but I am thinking he was using 2009's. You may look him up and start a conversation . Good luck !
Here are some (a pair from two auctions) USED axles for a 2007. I would write the seller and find out how "used' they are . In other new axles on EBAY they are showing the 2008 6X fitting the 2009 6x so going the 2008 route may NOT work..

·
Administrator
7,174 Posts
And now that I have said all that.................. CAIMAN says these will FIT ! CAIMAN has always made good stuff..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jungleman,
Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. My axles are intact but just real sloppy/loose at the differential. The splines on the output shaft are worn pretty badly. I have the output shaft ordered and was hoping to find new axles. I’ll definitely contact Caiman and check those out. I was on American CV website last night and missed these axles. I see they don’t ship to Alaska but I can work around that. It amazes me that a lot of these companies will ship world wide but won’t ship to Alaska or Hawaii, but that’s a topic for another post, lol. Thanks again, much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
09 was a transition year with Polaris, the 4x was all new while the 6x was still the old style. Now that's not to say as JM mentioned some stuff spilled over and honestly I can't answer that and I've worked on both, they all kind of look the same when I'm wrenching. not sure on sale numbers but our state wide fire origination bought 68 of them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Pede,
A little update on this end. I went to the local dealer here, yes we do have a dealer in the middle of the sticks here in Alaska, and this is what I came up with. I was shocked but he did have an 09 OEM axle in stock as well as one from Quad Boss. I took mine in and we measured everything and it appears the 09 axles should work. The fully extended length was the same, the inboard splines were the same, the outboard splines were the same, the measurement from the flat on the end of the axle to the shoulder on the joint that rides against the hub is the same. The fully compressed length on the OEM axle was the same but the fully compressed length on the Quad Boss was about 1/8” longer. I took it home and put it on the output shaft of the differential, check. I put the hub in the bearing carrier and installed the axle, check. So I ordered two of them and when I get the new output shaft and get everything back together I’ll post an update. The dealer said he thinks when they build a new year of machine they put out a bid with all the specs, say for an axle, and probably take the lowest bidder. If that happens to be a different company, even if it is the same part or will fit another model year, it will have a different part number??? Not sure but that makes sense.
Anyway thanks fellas. Much appreciated

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Well everything is back together on the rear of the Ranger. All went well and the ‘09 axles work just fine. Still waiting on
Parts for the front diff, working on putting snorkels on for the clutch and air intake, and gonna rework the bed. Making a flatbed with higher sides (getting rid of all the plastic=more room) moving it back enough to clear the snorkel tubes and installing a take apart
a-frame boom with winch to be able to load and work on moose without trashing my back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update: Well everything is back together on the rear of the Ranger. All went well and the ‘09 axles work just fine. Still waiting on
Parts for the front diff, working on putting snorkels on for the clutch and air intake, and gonna rework the bed. Making a flatbed with higher sides (getting rid of all the plastic=more room) moving it back enough to clear the snorkel tubes and installing a take apart
a-frame boom with winch to be able to load and work on moose without trashing my back.
Hi I have 2007 6x6 need mid axles so the 2009 2332720 will work it shows an update to 2332952 so will this work for me. How is yours working? The 09 axles fit right in? Thanks for the help Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Jeff,
I guess another update is in order. I may have not been clear on my last update but I went with the Quad Boss mid axles for the ‘09 700 EFI 6x6. Can’t remember the part number off hand but I could look it up tomorrow. The ‘09 OEM mid axles would have worked as well, for a lot more money. I’ve had it out in the sticks and hills and they're working like a charm. Just hauled out a moose in some pretty harsh terrain and am very impressed so far with the ranger. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Jeff,
I guess another update is in order. I may have not been clear on my last update but I went with the Quad Boss mid axles for the ‘09 700 EFI 6x6. Can’t remember the part number off hand but I could look it up tomorrow. The ‘09 OEM mid axles would have worked as well, for a lot more money. I’ve had it out in the sticks and hills and they're working like a charm. Just hauled out a moose in some pretty harsh terrain and am very impressed so far with the ranger. Hope this helps.
Yes I thought it read that you may have used Quad Boss axles but I couldn't tell if you ordered two of those or the oem 09 you were talking about. This is good to know and Yes would love the part number if at all possible. Really appreciate it. Have a really bad clicking shaft on right mid. I think I found the 09 OEM for a good price... but would like to use what worked for you.
Jeff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts