PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Ive been reading throught the forums for about a year now while Im working through my Rangers issues.

Currently it sounds like its missing at idle and doesnt have any power past 3300rpms. Idle at 1050-1100. On accel it has a mid range stall.

The brief synopsis of what has been done in the last year.
1. tbap cleaned, replaced, put oem back in
2.tbap harness replaced with OTB
3. tps replaced. dealer sold me part, i put in and didnt know how to adjust.
4. took to shop for tps adjsut
5. tps harness replaced by OTB
6. test ride with wife that almost ended up walking. :(
7. To new shop. Put in $30 fuel pump. Lots of wiring repairs, I dont have lots of confidence in what was done. It doesnt look very clean. It wouldnt idle on pickup. Shop says no problem, I can tune by ear. Needless to say it limped into trailer and I dont think its any better.
8. Bought tps adjust tool. Initially tuned to .660 but then redid to .710. It doesnt smell super rich now.
9. tested fuel pressure. Steady at 40. guage on rail, went through accel in nuetral.
10. Changed oil. It smelled a little on the gassy side. I "feel" like its slightly better but that could be optimism.

Question of the day: Has anyone replaced the entire TPS circuit from the ECU to the TPS? Seems to me that I can do that project in about 1/4 of the time to trace out the entire harness. Am I on the right path?

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,238 Posts
J, try .605 base and .690 flow... I was talking to BPS about an '08 TPS setting a while back and he also had some 'special numbers".

Make sure that throttle plate is closed all the way before setting the base setting......Lettuce know...

·
Administrator
7,238 Posts
Yes. Remove the 5 screws on the black side cover of the throttle body and then the 'D' screw out (counterclockwise) until you see it lose contact inside with the throttle linkage OR with the MM hooked up, it will stop it's downward reading when contact with the linkage is lost .THEN Set your BASE with the multi meter set to the lowest volts DC . Then set the FLOW by turning the D screw counterclockwise...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. Remove the 5 screws on the black side cover of the throttle body and then the 'D' screw out (counterclockwise) until you see it lose contact inside with the throttle linkage OR with the MM hooked up, it will stop it's downward reading when contact with the linkage is lost .THEN Set your BASE with the multi meter set to the lowest volts DC . Then set the FLOW by turning the D screw counterclockwise...
gotcha, thanks getting the d screw tool tomorrow or tues. will let you know how it works.

·
Administrator
7,238 Posts
CORRECTION TO........ " Then set the FLOW by turning the D screw counterclockwise... " above

Turn the 'D' screw CLOCKWISE to set the FLOW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright. today i got my tool built so I can now adjust my idle speed screw. Ihave it set up with the tps tool but the voltage kept jumping all over the place to the point that adjustments are futile. I have the tps off the tb now and watching the voltage move up and down. I am wondering if this is normal or a sign of needing a new tps.

·
Administrator
7,238 Posts
Ok Jester, I am unclear about the " I have built a TPS tool and have it set up with the TPS tool ?? But there should be no 'jumping' going on. If the VDC reading is jumping up and down while you are adjusting the 'D' screw or any other time, the TPS is bad . You would need a new OEM TPS (not a ten dollar knock off) and then try to set it up at OEM spec first. Are you backprobing the yellow wire and grounding the other ?

Jster, wasn't this a new OEM TPS ? If so, you may have something else going on.. Please be clear on what you are doing/using and when ........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry about the confusion. I bought the tps tool from tpstool.com. This tool hooks up to the tps connector.
The double d idle adjust screw was too tight for needle nose, so I ended up building a tool for it.
I am pretty sure the tps I have is not OEM. It definately wasn't $200. When its hooked up the tester, the voltage constantly jumps up and down. So much that attempting adjustment is worthless. I removed the tps from the throttle body and the voltage still jumps around considerably.

I am taking this as a bad tps. Am I correct?

·
Administrator
7,238 Posts
It is bad..... A dealer sold you this ?

Do not pass go... Pay $ 200.00 and then go for OEM spec base & flow.. I think you are almost done.. I can talk you through the proper set up if you need help..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts