PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, have replaced both of these heat shields in the past for cracking from the mounting bolts. Gives a pretty little high rattle noise. Has anybody figured a way to stop this from happening??????? I'm going to try drilling the crack to stop it and try some JB weld to hold it back together????? Any other ideas?????
These are the 2 shields that cover the exhaust where it comes out of the head, and at the top bend.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Polaris had a problem with that early in the 700 generation, but I thought most of those issues had been resolved by '08.......and the replacement parts (assuming you didn't get old ones that had been on the shelf a while) "should" have been made of thicker material. The thicker ones resolved my problems and I never had them crack again. You could always fab up some new ones from steel or thicker aluminum.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Jerry, My replacements were the same thickness as the original, probably why it happened again:hypnotysed: I'll measure it up when I get it out and see about making one, as they're not cheap to buy.

·
Registered
368 Posts
When I got my 05 ranger it was real noisey, while tracing rattles that was one of the loud ones I found. The lower mount had broke. I pulled it drilled a hole ,mounted a L bracket and bolted it to the frame, really stopped the most noise.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Thanx Jerry, My replacements were the same thickness as the original, probably why it happened again:hypnotysed: I'll measure it up when I get it out and see about making one, as they're not cheap to buy.
Yeap, that's the problem. The replacements that I bought were noticeably thicker.....not quite twice as think, but close.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Went ahead and ordered both of them, taking out the old ones I noticed the top small one was original and thin, the bigger lower one, I had replaced and it was thicker. But that one had completely broken in half!!!! Went ahead and drilled and JB welded it, then today added a strip a crossed both of the cracks and riveted them in place. Need it to last thru the deer hunt.
Called the Dealer about expediting the order and paying for overnite, BUT polaris charges $60 for the expedite and another $20 for the shipping. I can wait!:hypnotysed: HOPEFULLY they will be in before tuesday. Thanx again for all advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts