PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 700XP LE with 40 hours that has a "sluggish" spot in the throttle at about 1/2 throttle when accelerating only. I have cleaned the TBap & throttle body, replaced the TPS (& set it properly @ 0.660), checked the TBap wiring harness (seems OK), checked the plugs and plug wires, and checked the injector connections. I replaced the TPS because it kept showing an engine code, and the setting would drift after I set it.

It still has good top-end performance and hits about 47 mph. The problem is when accelerating rapidly from about 20 mph to about 30 mph. Then it runs well once it gets past that certain spot.

I checked the fuel pressure today at the rail, and it showed 11 psi with the key on (only) and 29 psi with the engine running (and while traveling about 10 mph). This is lower than the spec of 39 +/- 3 psi.

So I pulled the fuel pump assembly, and the bottom sock looks clean. The fuel tubing is all clear as well. The assembly sells for $378+ from the dealer - OUCH!!!

Here are my questions I was hoping to get some help with:

1. Has anyone replaced the fuel pump only on an 09 700? If so, what is the cross-reference part number from an alternate manufacturer?
2. Has anyone removed the pump and cleaned the "screen" between the pump and regulator? Could this be a problem if the sock is clean?
3. Is there a way to test the regulator versus the fuel pump?

Before I started taking things apart, I hoped to have a plan of action.

Thanks for all of the help!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Jason, With out a doubt you have a fuel pump problem! It should hold anywhere from 37#'s and up of fuel pressure at all times. I don't know if polaris changed the fuel pump on the 09's are not? ?
Maybe someone will chime in and let ya know!

If not you can disassemble the fuel pump and get the bosh # off of it and check with the local auto parts store and see if they can cross the # over to another pump!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Vince. Is the Bosch number on the top of the entire tank assembly the part number for the pump or the entire assembly? "Bosch #F 01R B0S 142"? I can't seem to find any info on this part number.

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
The part # will be on the pump that is inside the tank. It seems that Polaris changes its pump about every year, and its likely no one has changed one yet. I would pull the pump, and take it into a Napa or something similar to see if they can cross reference it. Pease be sure to post thate replacement number once you find it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Carnivore. I'm going to pull the pump and try to find a replacement. I'll post the part number on the original and on the new one if I can find a replacement.

Is there any chance that it could be the regulator instead of the pump? The regulator didn't seem to be adjustable, so I guess I'll have to set it up somehow on a bench to really test it. I am also planning to do a "pressure hold" test to see if the pressure remains high for several minutes. From what I have researched, if the pressure falls rapidly with the fuel pump off, the regulator may be bad (leaking).

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
Its possible, its certainly worth looking at.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
*****UPDATE*****

I pulled the fuel pump and assembly this morning. The sock was clean, but the part between the pump and regulator was dirty. I flushed it out and decided I just as soon buy a new pump while I had it apart. The part number for the stock fuel pump is:

Bosch F 01R 00R 007

The jerk at Auto Zone said he couldn't cross-reference the part, and that he couldn't help me. I asked him to look up an Acura fuel pump, and he acted like I was crazy.

So I went to O'Reilly's, and the guy couldn't reference it, but he was nice enough to look up a 96 Acura Integra fuel pump. Sure enough, exact match from the computer pictures. Too bad he sold his last on 30 minutes ago. He did give me the part number:

Airtex E8335

So I called back to AutoZone, and wouldn't you know it! They had one in stock! So back to AutoZone and $86.99 + tax later...

39 psi pressure with the key on and also with the engine running. It runs like a bat out of heck!!!!

Thanks for all of the help guys!!!!

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
Good news and great info!

·
Registered
96 Posts
yea...Great news and thanks for the new part # for the 09's. Maybe it well help out other member's with 09 ranger's!

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
gearhead1379 said:
we need a sticky
I stuck that in the sticky titled "Important parts information for Rangers" at the top of the Tech and mod section days ago. 8)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bosch F 01R 00R 007 Fuel Pump

A direct cross-over for this pump is AIRTEX E8229

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Ron Why not go over to new members and introduce yourself so others can say Hi :?: :idea: I'd love to scuba down there some day :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts