PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I’m fried. I read all I can read about this and I’m ready to take it to the lake and sunk it. I have a 09 800 ran great no problems. No smoke , oil leaks nothing. Decided to da a maintenance. Bought a kit “ oil,filter, plugs ect. Did all except plugs pulled into garage to do that. Had had time getting wires off but finally did. Replaced. Ran bad than died and now WILL NOT START. Ok bought new wires because of the pulling so hard thought damaged. Ck spark nice and blue. Pulled injectors steady spray. Tried starting fluid it makes a half ass attempt but nothing. I checked ground behind the seat changed battery.
Now I’m out of ideas. What am I missing.
How can it run 100% before plugs and now nothing. That is all I did.??
HELP HELP HELP
Rocky Albano

·
Registered
2020 Ranger Northstar Crew Ultimate
53 Posts
Is it possible the spark plug wires got damaged when they were getting removed?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Ok, new plugs and wires and blue spark and won't start on fluid. i would be checking for codes like Crank position Sensor , TPS etc...

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Just for fun, try cranking it in the dark with someone watching the spark plugs and wire area. Maybe somehow, some way, spark is going to ground rather than across the plug gap. Electricity takes the path of least resistance and a plug gap adds a lot of resistance. ANY leak in insulation at plug boots, along wires at coil towers on top of plug insulators that are damp, carbon/dirt covered, will short to ground and result in a no start condition.
It's pie in the sky, and I know you replaced plugs and wires, but perhaps you accidentally cracked a plug insulator, got some bad wires or plugs don't have the wires pushed all the way into the coil towers, cracked coil towers or had some other weird small unnoticed thing happen. It doesn't make sense that it was running fine and a plug change harmed any other part, however maybe during lube changes you accidentally loosened a harness plug to the TPS or CPS or damaged a fragile wire.
You could also try reversing what you've done, reinstall the old plugs and wires to see if it runs in the off chance the new plugs are the problem.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I, like Pyro think you probably loosened or damaged a wire. Check for trouble codes, they will give a starting place to look for the issue.

Mike

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've found that when something like this occurs it's usually my fault. Look around the area you were working and inspect all of the wire harnesses and connectors. Something changed during your work, it's just a matter of finding it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just for fun, try cranking it in the dark with someone watching the spark plugs and wire area. Maybe somehow, some way, spark is going to ground rather than across the plug gap. Electricity takes the path of least resistance and a plug gap adds a lot of resistance. ANY leak in insulation at plug boots, along wires at coil towers on top of plug insulators that are damp, carbon/dirt covered, will short to ground and result in a no start condition.
It's pie in the sky, and I know you replaced plugs and wires, but perhaps you accidentally cracked a plug insulator, got some bad wires or plugs don't have the wires pushed all the way into the coil towers, cracked coil towers or had some other weird small unnoticed thing happen. It doesn't make sense that it was running fine and a plug change harmed any other part, however maybe during lube changes you accidentally loosened a harness plug to the TPS or CPS or damaged a fragile wire.
You could also try reversing what you've done, reinstall the old plugs and wires to see if it runs in the off chance the new plugs are the problem.
Yea makes no sense. How can u check codes? Do you need a special tool? I don’t have a manual yet obviously need one

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Rocket man, ..............TRANS in neutral..........turn key to the 'ON' not start position three times and leave in the 'ON" position on the third rotation. TWO DIGIT codes will appear on the cluster with 61 being...............end of codes. Do it twice just to be sure. Anything but '61' make sure you write it down and lettuce know....

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Yea makes no sense. How can u check codes? Do you need a special tool? I don’t have a manual yet obviously need one
You can download an Owner's Manual from the Polaris web site for free. The Owner's Manual should tell you how to retrieve codes. If you're going to do your own work a digital Service Manual would also be a good idea, available for about $10 on line. Jungleman may be able to help with where.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rocket man, ..............TRANS in neutral..........turn key to the 'ON' not start position three times and leave in the 'ON" position on the third rotation. TWO DIGIT codes will appear on the cluster with 61 being...............end of codes. Do it twice just to be sure. Anything but '61' make sure you write it down and lettuce know....
It blinks says wait than end

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
of corse what else could happend this is nuts im going to go thru all the wires to see if somthing came off or loose

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok tryed that still nothing
did ck this - pulled fuel injectors out turned on and cranked and it seemed to me to be more of a mist than a squirt or stream spray could it be clogged injector? should it spray a stream like pattern ?
;

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
ok tryed that still nothing
did ck this - pulled fuel injectors out turned on and cranked and it seemed to me to be more of a mist than a squirt or stream spray could it be clogged injector? should it spray a stream like pattern ?
;
Check fuel pressure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok just replaced injectors still wont start put a fuel pressure gauge on it and on ignition turn on i get 30 psi then it drops yo 0 so 2 thoughts can it be a bad fues pump and or a crank trigger or throttle position sensor?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Rocket .............30 psi is BAD.. I would be looking at the pump and the line from pressure regulator to the outlet on the assembly. Those squiggly fuel lines can break Those canister filters above the pump can plug and crack.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i just redid the presure test with a better gage and its 40 and i dont see a filter it s a hose that goes from the top of the tank to the fuel rail.. i cant figure out why this thing wont start i have spark,fuel,air- wtf

1 - 20 of 20 Posts