PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I need some points. I rebuilt my 800 new everything, literally everything. I pulled the stuck prv and cleaned everything up and I've installed the motor. I primed it per Polaris specs and I have no oil pressure. I just changed the oil pump again today with another brand new one and I still cannot build oil pressure. Help me out here what am I missing.

·
Banned
3,095 Posts
Rebuilt because of a stuck prv? Any pressure there? Mine is a 07 500, so probably not much help here. Come on fellas, help the man out! He will be bald soon....

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,996 Posts
There aren't that many things that can cause low oil pressure. As gmck suggests, begin by assuring that your testing method is good.

Not specific to this particular engine, but rather in general, internal parts clearances on rotating assemblies that are too great will cause low oil pressure. A problem with how the pump is driven, sheared pin, key, damaged gear drives will cause low oil pressure. A missing oil gallery plug or misaligned or improperly installed gasket will cause low oil pressure, as will damage (crack/hole) to a block, case, housing missed during inspection. Sometimes a part will fit two ways but only one way is proper becasue oil holes have to line up. An example in an OHV car/truck engine is cam bearings; if the oil holes don't line up with those in the block no oil get's past the camshaft bearing. Some head gaskets will fit two ways but only one way lines up with oil galleries. If you are testing downstream from a situation like that you will get low pressure readings.

I don't know your experience level with the particular engine in question, and it's not my intention to cast an dispersions. I have rebuilt several engines, but none of this type. If I had this problem with an engine I hadn't previously dealt with I would be questioning myself about whether I missed something during reassembly. If this is your first, sometimes it's easy to miss the small things and often service manuals aren't clearly written. Unfortunately, if you can't pinpoint and fix the problem from the outside you may have to disassemble and inspect your previous work to find the problem. If that turns out to be the case don't feel too bad, you won't be the first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys thank you for the replies, in this instance I have installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge. If the spring was too stiff it effectively would be the exact outcome as a stuck prv, so really high pressure. It was rebuilt because the owner I got it from said the filter had backed off and it lost all the oil. My guess is the prv stuck and shot the pressure to the moon trashing the filter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh and I'm a very nice mechanic there are no loose clearances. I'm more looking for somebody that is very familiar with these engine to verify its the pump to the port to the prv to the engine passages. Or am I missing something

·
Administrator
7,761 Posts
Winston, I gotta ask ............ You are installing the dowel first and then the spring and then the threaded plug ?

I have to ask.................:cry:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oil barely comes out if at all. I prime it and if I leave the port open it will dribble oil, I thought about the pickup but I was very meticulous in the cleaning and installation with a lot of attention paid to o ring. But even if the o ring was no good I would imagine it would still pump but it would be cavetated oil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used Polaris spec sealant for the gasket maker and an very familiar with the procedure so I don't think I sucked any excess sealant into anywhere and it sat for 48hrs before oil was added to allow for drying. Pickup screen was washed thoroughly and camera inspected. I'm truly at a loss with this thing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts