PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 800 ranger, the past year I've noticed it running worse and worse, checked pump pressure, even drained tank completely and flushed fuel system with 97 octane. normally it will start right up, but rough idle, sputter then die, if i start it and take off its OK but not like it used to be. I have noticed the exhaust smells different when its idling, like to rich or to lean. driving down the road it will start to spit and sputter, almost a pop pop pop sound out the exhaust. I've done the plugs, fresh fuel... all the basics, cant seem to wrap my head around the issue, I want to check for codes but don't know the procedure of extracting them, there's no service light on the dash, and this morning it started, then died and now wont start at all, just cranks. Help...

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
D, what was your fuel pressure?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I just had a 2013 800 with the exact same issues. It turned out to be the wiring harness for the EFI sensors. I found three places where the harness was laying on the cylinder and head and had worn through, seven wires total. None of them were broken, just copper touching metal. No check engine light or codes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just had a 2013 800 with the exact same issues. It turned out to be the wiring harness for the EFI sensors. I found three places where the harness was laying on the cylinder and head and had worn through, seven wires total. None of them were broken, just copper touching metal. No check engine light or codes.
Im going to go through the harness this morning, thank you

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I went through the harnesses, checked the connections... I got the service manual and started checking components, the IAC module did not ohm out to specs, nothing shorted or grounded just higher then 30 & 60 ohms like the book states, im getting 45 and 60 instead. I really hate to order this thing, put it on only to find out its not the problem, has anyone had a Idle air control go bad and if so what were the symptoms?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
dman, although I am not crazy about your fuel pressure and don't have a good feeling about your TMAP harness, I would have to say that your IAC harness is suspect. Yeah, you looked at those pesky harness's and they "look good" but more often then not..................they are NOT good. 800's are world renown for bad sensor harness's.........

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dman, although I am not crazy about your fuel pressure and don't have a good feeling about your TMAP harness, I would have to say that your IAC harness is suspect. Yeah, you looked at those pesky harness's and they "look good" but more often then not..................they are NOT good. 800's are world renown for bad sensor harness's.........
I pulled every connector and stripped back the black wire loom and looked at everything, you can see where the loom was rubbing against the head in spots but the wires inside look fine. Im going to go ahead and order the harnesses, Ill let you know how I make out I thought my pressure was within spec??

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
dman, the 28 gauge skimpy wires break INSIDE the insulation . You can sometimes find them by grasping each end of the singled out wires and carefully pull, then WATCH CLOSELY for the insulation to stretch... Yes...........for the insulation to stretch....that means that the skimpy wire inside that insulation has broken .. Happens........all the time. If the TMAP harness has not been changed , I know it is bad.. Look for a lump in the harness about eight inches to a foot from the connection. If there is NO LUMP....it has never been repaired and is bad...

Once you OTB your wire harness's, they are good forever..and then on a 800 it is just a matter of watching the fuel pressure and changing the pumps out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dman, the 28 gauge skimpy wires break INSIDE the insulation . You can sometimes find them by grasping each end of the singled out wires and carefully pull, then WATCH CLOSELY for the insulation to stretch... Yes...........for the insulation to stretch....that means that the skimpy wire inside that insulation has broken .. Happens........all the time. If the TMAP harness has not been changed , I know it is bad.. Look for a lump in the harness about eight inches to a foot from the connection. If there is NO LUMP....it has never been repaired and is bad...

once you OTB your wire harness's, they are good forever..
I know thats never been done, im looking on that link you sent for the part number of the TMAP harness now

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Just make sure and compare connectors to the one at OTB.....b4 ordering

Reactions: dman_110

·
Registered
781 Posts
That IAC sounds suspect to me. Every good one that I've tested always reads 30 and 60 ohms.

That being said, jman is leading you on the right path with those OTB harnesses.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts