PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being cheap like I am I decided to build my own doors and bumper over the past couple of week. The doors cost roughly $120 for the pair and they are made of 3/4" DOM tubing, 1/8" ABS plastic and ebay slam latches. Sorry I forgot alot of the pictures I didnt think about it until it was too late. Now that its finally stopped raining I'll get some more pics.

Rear bumper 1-3/4" DOM tubing

·
Super Moderator
6,815 Posts
Pit has some Skills!!
Both of those look fantastic, well done.

Reactions: zmnypit

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice! Could you post some closeup shots of the latches, hinges and the attachment points. I may try and tackle this as my next project.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice! Could you post some closeup shots of the latches, hinges and the attachment points. I may try and tackle this as my next project.

The latches I used: Pro Armor Front Suicide Door Slam Latch POLARIS RANGER RZR 4 800 2010 P081291 | eBay

I took the supplied brackets cut them then flatten using a hammer/anvil. Cut a notch out then welded to the cross tube. The handle I made free hand and the cable is bicycle brake cable from walmart. Just cut it to length and done. The hinges is 3/8" bar stock from lowes and the tube is 3/8" ID also from Lowes. I just went in and found a decent size that fit together nicely.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Nicely done!:excitement:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure honestly. The brackets are 3/4" dom cut to fit where the bed hinges and then two pieces of flat bar that bolts to the bed just under the tailgate.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ABS plastic may have been the wrong idea. It doesn't appear to play well with the sun as I've already got some warping. May have to switch to sheet metal or more rivets.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just a thought. What if you slot some of the mounting holes in the ABS plastic to give it room to grow? Then "back off" the tightness of the nuts and bolts so it fits a little more loosely. If you are concerned about it rattling, you could sandwich some self adhesive felt in between the ABS and nuts and bolts. Might be worth a try, rather than starting over with metal. Or, let the doors get nice and hot in the sun, slot the holes and then tighten them down.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a thought. What if you slot some of the mounting holes in the ABS plastic to give it room to grow? Then "back off" the tightness of the nuts and bolts so it fits a little more loosely. If you are concerned about it rattling, you could sandwich some self adhesive felt in between the ABS and nuts and bolts. Might be worth a try, rather than starting over with metal. Or, let the doors get nice and hot in the sun, slot the holes and then tighten them down.
They actually shrunk back down and was fine the next morning. Went riding sat all day and I must say its a huge improvement over no doors. Only negative side is the notorious cab heat. Every once in awhile it would get warm. I'm thinking of adding some kind of sliding vent to them next

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nice work, Pit!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts