PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have become the proud owner of a 2002 6X6 that has had a rough life, but I think she has a lot of life left in her.

When I got her she would start easily but wouldn't keep running unless the choke was out a bit.
There is a slow brake leak near the pass. rear caliper.
very soon after I brought it home the shift cable broke. (turning it off to reach under to shift gears by hand is a real pain)

After reading many PRC post I started making her whole again. So far I have installed:
shift cable
fule pump + filter + new line + fule tank pickup tube
the rubber tube connecting the carb to the breather assembly ( had a big hole)
fresh oil and filer
air filter

The previous owner put on a new carb, but I didn't think he reconnected everything correctly.
I "plugged" the ports on the carb that were sucking air. Now she starts better and runs with the choke closed. ;)

Had the wife push the brake cable so I could fine the rear brake leak and one of the frount lines blew ;(
So as soon as I can find the parts I'm going to replace all of the brake lines.

Anyone have a good source for brake lines?

Also, While I do have it running better, I'm not sure I really have everything right on the carb. ther are 2 lines that connec to eachn other in the back that then went to nothing. I connected them to a open line that I think looks to me like it goes to the crank case. The manual I found online just says they are a vent line, not what they connect to. Anyone know where these lines should be connected to?

Also I have a connector on top of the fuel tank that the manual says is for a vent line that is connected to nothing I'm thinking it should go somewhere as when the tank is full a little gas comes out. ;(

Apologies for the long post and if I'm putting it in the wrong place.

Any and all help moving this rescue forward is greatly apreciated. ;)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Looks like you have a good start. You might be able to find parts for that machine. Sometimes ebay has good stuff. brake lines are pretty easily made. Good luck with your project. I love the 6X6's. Show PIC's

·
Registered
102 Posts
Culver,

I have a 2005 6x6 and have attached a few photos below which may help. One end of the larger hose that passes though the carburetor area attaches to the air box and the other end to the area next to the flywheel cover (crankcase?). Hope this helps. The 6x6 folks are a vanishing breed but I don't believe there is anything like this UTV on the market now. Some have prettier paint but not many (any?) with a cargo bed as large nor with a machine that can go almost anywhere and that rides as smooth. I've been looking at the new Rangers and Gators but it's hard getting too excited about them for this reason. However...power steering, a quieter engine, and engine braking are all attractive features. Good luck with yours!

Jim

View attachment 123585

View attachment 123587

View attachment 123591

View attachment 123589

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree the 6X6's are beast. even in its unhealth state I have used it to haul deer and drag logs out of the woods.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Also, While I do have it running better, I'm not sure I really have everything right on the carb. ther are 2 lines that connec to eachn other in the back that then went to nothing. I connected them to a open line that I think looks to me like it goes to the crank case. The manual I found online just says they are a vent line, not what they connect to. Anyone know where these lines should be connected to?

Also I have a connector on top of the fuel tank that the manual says is for a vent line that is connected to nothing I'm thinking it should go somewhere as when the tank is full a little gas comes out. ;(
Those two clear lines on the sides of diaphragm come together into one that is run into frame for vent to atmosphere. the one in the middle has a rubber cap/plug on mine.

The line on the tank is a vent to keep the tank from building a vacuum.

That is a 500 also?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a larger hose that passes though the carburetor area and yes it attaches to the air box and the flywheel cover (sorry called it crankcase) but mine has a T that has a short hose that nothing was attached to. My vent line that is the 2 ports on the back of the carb that are connected together dont go to the fram they have a very short hose thatb I assumed went to the air box line. Souns like I need to do away with the T on the larger line, then run my vent line back toward the frame and leave it attached to nothing? What keeps dirt, water and mud dobbers out of it???

can i assume that the gas tank vent line also just goes back toward the frame and is not connected to anything???

BTW, thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I believe there are 3 vent lines. Diff, trans and carb. They are all routed into the frame for "protection". Some people put fuel filters on the ends, but the SC daubers have that figured out. Forgot the tank line. Make it 4. That one, not yet! Hang in there. 500?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hadn't thought about the diff and trans. probably need to put new fluids in both. Havn't noticed vent lines on them. I guess they are also missing. do all of the vent lines go to the same area of the frame?

yes it is a 500.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The drive train vent lines are in place. the tranny and both diffs are are inter connected with the end of the line poked into a hole in the frame, just behind the drivers seat. All of this looks to be stock.

With the help of everyones post and pictures from Sierra Guy, I have all of the carb lines connected as they should be.

My last Mystery line is the vent line on the gas tank. I'm assuming that it runs to the frame back under the bed somewhare?

With a little luck, I'll find a new brake line for the front and have it in the woods this weekend ;)

Thanks again everyone!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE:
New brake line should be here Wednesday.
I have bolted a LED light to the hood, hope to attach power tomorrow.
I had fixed a oil leak by tightening the fitting and hose at the oil tank. It has returned but the fitting lokks ok. Are these tanks prone to cracking?
I still hope to have it in the wood this weekend, I will post pic's if I make it.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Great machines! Post some pics if possible of your progress when you can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My buddy a NAPA hooked me up with a new brake line so I have partial brakes, I'll bleed them when I have a second person to help. Only had time to put new pads on one wheel, the other 3 soon. Put a new NAPA battery in it and now it cracks up way easier. The old one was from 2004. This is not a typo the battery was 14 years old and worked fine above 40 degrees. Any colder and it was a little dificult to get going.

BTW, the one wheel I did only had one brake pad. Is that a thing some do? or did the last guy just fail to put both pads back on?

A little more fine tuning to the idle tonight then I'm loading it on the trailer. I'm headed to the woods Friday for 2 weeks of deer hunting. So pics of its adventures and maybe deer coming soon ;)

Again thanks for all of your help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts