PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just replaced the bearings in my ranger transmission, I also replaced the high gear dog engagement as I thought that might be why it would grind when it was put in high gear.

it is still grinding when I put it in high gear. it catches once in a while. could it be the shift drum, shift forks or dowel pins are worn enough to not quite engage in high gear. everything looks good but still have the same issue. thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Hi Joe-

If the series 11 transmission is similar to the 05-09 transmissions, I have a little bit of an idea of what the insides look like.

When you were in there, did you replace both sets of high gear engagement dogs? How was the spring? if the spring is weak it could be letting it pop out.

Before you go breaking it apart again, I'd unhook the linkage at the transmission, put the ranger into gear manually, and see if it still does it. if it stays, your shift cable may need adjusted if it's not letting it get into high range fully.

That's really about all I can think of that it could be. it's a pretty simple transmission.

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
Joe,

POS has a point. If the wave spring (shown directly beneath the screwdriver in the 1st pic') is bad, it could be causing your problem.

1st and 2nd pic's shows minor damage (rounded ears) to the dog(s)

3rd and 4th pic's shows major damage

5th pic' is a good set

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
ouch!

when they give you new high gear engagement dogs, do they give you both sides ? or is there only the one side that wears?

Looks like in those pictures Jerry that only one set of dogs gets damaged?

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
......Looks like in those pictures Jerry that only one set of dogs gets damaged?
Yeah, for whatever reason, only the input side seemed to be damaged. Those pic's are from a tranny that I rebuilt for a member on here. He bought the Ranger second hand and I guess the previous owner must have thought it was a "shift on the fly" model.

It can be difficult to find the dogs unless you know the part number. Polaris doesn't show them in the parts fiche on all models and evidently wants to sell it to you as a part of a $400 gear cluster assembly. I've had to order ones for a different model and hope they would fit.......and luckily haven't ran across any that are different. It's bad enough that those stupid dogs are about $175.00 each!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did replace the engagement dogs as I thought they were worn, turns out they looked pretty much exactly like the new ones. I thought the shift fork is what engages the dogs but I guess I can see why the washers, which seem good could be the problem. at this point I have already ordered the shift drum and shift forks I might as well order the wave washers, it's only money.

strange the low gear and reverse side aren't having the same engagement issue

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
I have never seen a shift drum fail. Of course, that does not mean it is NOT your problem. If it's related to the shift drum, I would lean more toward it being a piece of debris in the drum that is not letting it cycle and travel properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts