PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help. I have two 2003 rangers, one is a 425cc 2x4 and the other is a 500cc 4x4 (UTV) with a governor. The 500 has zero top end and the only difference that I can find is a solenoid for a vacuum line that runs to the carb. Disconnecting the solenoid gives me more top end, but it runs really rough, any ideas? The UTV is considered a "farm vehicle" and is limited to 25 mph, can I change the carb to the same one that is on the 425cc?

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
crlinc said:
Need help. I have two 2003 rangers, one is a 425cc 2x4 and the other is a 500cc 4x4 (UTV) with a governor. The 500 has zero top end and the only difference that I can find is a solenoid for a vacuum line that runs to the carb. Disconnecting the solenoid gives me more top end, but it runs really rough, any ideas? The UTV is considered a "farm vehicle" and is limited to 25 mph, can I change the carb to the same one that is on the 425cc?
If it's yellow it is speed regulated in the transmission and not goverened so much by the cut-out on the carb end. There are two gears to buy that can be changed out that will get you the speeds of a green Ranger. If you have a yellow one I can get you the gear numbers for the swap if you like.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fiberguy- Yes, it is the yellow one. That would be great if you would forward the info on the gears. So if I change the gears, do I need to mess with the carb as well? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
crlinc said:
fiberguy- Yes, it is the yellow one. That would be great if you would forward the info on the gears. So if I change the gears, do I need to mess with the carb as well? Thanks for your time.
Input Shaft # 3233889
30tooth gear #3233856
That should be all that is different than the Green home version.

I've had my carb un-plugged for years now to help with getting to the rev limiter faster and it helps. The carb has a solenoid that is electrical and when unpluged it will keep the carb from restricting when hitting high revs but won't effect the rev limiter.
Good luck,
Allan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, what kind of a job is it to change the gears in the transmission. I got a 2002 'Yellow' Ranger, and am looking to get the top speed up to that of the green rangers.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
j_pete15 said:
Hey, what kind of a job is it to change the gears in the transmission. I got a 2002 'Yellow' Ranger, and am looking to get the top speed up to that of the green rangers.
I haven't done mine yet but wouldn't think it would be to tough. Worse case would be you had to take it to a dealer and have them reassemble it, or pull the trans out for them to do on the bench.

BTW Welcome to PRC and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
647 Posts
This is all related to the Yellow Ranger's only correct? My dad has the '02 500 Ranger 6x6 and I don't see anything governor related on the carb and it gets up to 37MPH GPS as is, bone stock. Haven't tried it with the new EBS clutching to see if that makes a difference yet.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Sparx said:
This is all related to the Yellow Ranger's only correct? My dad has the '02 500 Ranger 6x6 and I don't see anything governor related on the carb and it gets up to 37MPH GPS as is, bone stock. Haven't tried it with the new EBS clutching to see if that makes a difference yet.
YEP......the yellows were produced for job sites and regulated both buy the lower gearing and by cutting off the fuel through an electronic mod. that somehow must be tied into the revs of the engine. I just unplugged mine and all is good except as you might imagine it will hit the rev limiter in no time with the lower gearing.
BTW this was all done to meet FED. Regs for sitework.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Thanks for that info, I knew about the key system, but was unaware of the lower gearing to meet fed regs. What threw me off was that you had a 6x6 like my old mans in your sig and was wondering if the Canadian models were different somehow?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

I am thinking if purchasing the 2003 ranger model (yellow model) that is restricted. Is there anyone that has changes the gears for higher speeds. I'm not against modifying it. I just need to know that it's possible before buying it

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2003 1500 2x4 Professional Series Ranger (Yellow one). I removed the governor gear inside the crankcase and cut off the pin (half of it, that's all my cuttoff wheel would reach). I also had to add a throttle spring to pull back the governor arm as it would just vibrate to full throttle without that spring. I am completely happy with the results. I have not measured the speed yet, but it's fast enough for me and what i need it for. I did not make any mods to the transmission at all. For those of you that have one of these and want it to go faster, you have to pull the clutch and remover the cover on the crankcase and the governor gear is attached to that cover, just take a pry bar and pop the gear out, then cut off the pin and put it back together. Then take a spring from the choke on the carb and put it on the governor arm to pull it back, works great. Any questions PM me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2003 1500 2x4 Professional Series Ranger (Yellow one). I removed the governor gear inside the crankcase and cut off the pin (half of it, that's all my cuttoff wheel would reach). I also had to add a throttle spring to pull back the governor arm as it would just vibrate to full throttle without that spring. I am completely happy with the results. I have not measured the speed yet, but it's fast enough for me and what i need it for. I did not make any mods to the transmission at all. For those of you that have one of these and want it to go faster, you have to pull the clutch and remover the cover on the crankcase and the governor gear is attached to that cover, just take a pry bar and pop the gear out, then cut off the pin and put it back together. Then take a spring from the choke on the carb and put it on the governor arm to pull it back, works great. Any questions PM me.
Hi have you messured ypur top speed since you did this? I have a 02 500 yellow sportsman

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2003 yellow magnun, i put ina complete stock tranny and changed the carb also. Still only 28 mph. I wonder is its the CDI governing it. Also wondering what the gears are in the front and rear diffs

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it's yellow it is speed regulated in the transmission and not goverened so much by the cut-out on the carb end. There are two gears to buy that can be changed out that will get you the speeds of a green Ranger. If you have a yellow one I can get you the gear numbers for the swap if you like.
I have the yellow one and i have the correct gears I'm in Coshocton Ohio and i can't find anyone to change them for me can i get any recommendations?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts