PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered new ball joints and went out to replace them today. Didn't open the box till I had the lower A arm off. Found they sent the wrong ones. Return for replacement no problem. But, the service manual I have shows that front lower ball joint is pressed into the bottom of the Strut casting and held with a plate and couple screws. Mine does not have that plate, no holes for screws or anything similar. Is this ball joint a tight press fit into that casting? If so what holds it in? Thanks in advance for any info on this.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Your Ranger does, or at least should, have a plate with two Allen screws. Sometimes the plate and screws are covered with mud, etc that makes it looks like nothing is there. If the plate is missing there will be two screw holes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK Thanks. I have not wire brushed it off that good yet, just scraped it with a scraper. No allan heads or screw heads showed up. Will do more checking tomorrow.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The Allen heads are countersunk and the heads are flush with the metal plate.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Heat the hex heads up good with a propane torch before trying to remove them. They have Loctite on them from the factory and can strip easily if don't.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think it has ever been apart so would bet the plate is there. I just haven't found it yet. Will get the hubs off, struts out tomorrow, then I can get at the bottom. Needs a boot also. Have new brake pads that will go on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. That is why I haven's found them yet. Service manuals don't mention any of that except for the lock-tite and not to re-use the screws again.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If the Allen head is good no need to get new screws. A dab of loctite will work fine if the screws aren't damaged.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I apply NEVER SEIZE to those screws and have never had one back out. They can be a real bugger to get out if they go galvanic ........ when you do find them, make sure you clean out the screw heard thoroughly and then install the allen into it and HIT THE END OF THE ALLEN several times with a hammer to SHOCK the schit out of it. If you round out the allen, it will require that you drill and tap for a hex head screw . Don't ask how I know ........:oops:

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
cheif, put the new balljoints in the freezer and then clamp a big pair of vise grips sideways on the old bj bolt. Take a torch (propane etc) and heat up very well all the way around the balljoint strut. Quickly hit the vise grips with a hammer and the old balljoint will slide right out. Find a long socket a bit smaller than the new bj and have it ready to sink the frozen one . Clean the hole well and lube. Pull the frozen one out of the freezer and get it square in the hole and finish driving it in with the long socket. Piece of cake.........

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
ps, check the wheel bearings while you have the strut out....................

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the struts out and the bottom end cleaned up and two allen heads showed up. Got it all cleaned up and ready to replace. Not going any further till have the corect ball joints in hand. Low 30's here and no heat in the shop and no parts yet no snece getting in a hurry about it. Wheel bearings were good and had good adjustment. Checked that before I took the hub off. Appreciate the info on this project. Nothing like good old hands on experience.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had to really heat up the end of the A frame, then big hammer and pickle fork with a few sold blows before that a frame would drop off. Steering arm was no problem and the left side came off without heat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CV joint was partially cleaned up with gas. Got the axle lined up fairly straight, pulled good with the left hand an good rap with a 3 lb hammer and it was off. Almost scared me. No need to remove it from the inside end. Got lucky on that one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picked up the ball joints this morning. Put them in the freezer for a couple hours, knocked the old ones out and the new ones in with no problem. Not as big a job as I thought it might me. Both sides back together except for the brake calipers. Will put new pads on and finish up in the morning. My back told me it had enough for today, which don't take much any more. Good old Polaris makes you by the two rubber dirt covers,and nuts separate. Appreciate the good advise guys. Ride safe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts