PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Problem started last night. Ranger was parked on a slight incline, Father in Law tried to start it, put it in gear, and depressed the throttle, and the unit stalled. He assumed he was out of gas. I hiked a few gallons out to him, tank was at 1/4. Filled fuel tank to 3/4. Starts fine, but as soon as you step on the pedal, it dies. If applying light pressure to the brake, and getting the RPMs up, it will go a few feet, and then stall. Even stalled while coasting down hill. Happens in H, L, N, and R. Both with and without AWD engaged.

Fuel pump was replaced in 2016, ethanol free fuel has only been used since. Oil is at appropriate level

I’m stumped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the fuel pickup line for crack. Grommet holds it in tank.
There was a split, right at the connection!
Cut 1/4” off, however, I broke the filter when putting it back together. 🤦
So I won’t know until Friday if that fixes the issue

·
Registered
2,661 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So can use any 1/4 ID fuel line inside the tank?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I posted a similar problem about a month ago but cannot find the post now. Mine will die, turn key off, back on start it and go. How far depends on it's mood. Don't think this is fuel as it fire to quick after the key is turned off and right back on and starts. Acts more like a breaker tripping and it resets when the key is off. Wiring diagram does not show any breakers that I can find. Suggestions please.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When my fuel pump was starting to go, I had similar symptoms that progressively got worse, to the point where it would run great, die, wouldn’t start for 25 min, then would fire up like normal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine has never failed to restart. When it first started, I would try to restart without turning the key to off first. It would not start. I would turn the key off, move the wireing around under the seat, then restart and go. Then I tried to turn the key to off when it died and immediately turn it back to start and it firs instantly. This is why I don't think mine is a fuel issue. This morning it started and ran good for 50 yds. Shut it off while I unloaded some feed. Drove a short distance to load up deer carcus, started and drove about 200 yds, it died. Restarted and went about 25 yds & died. Did this 4 times. Then it started and ran for about 300 yds into a field and back out to the road and 1/4 mile down the road then died. Re fired and drove into the garage. It is so intermittency it is hard to track down. Once it has warmed up it will sit and idle with no problem. Only dies while in motion. Sure got me stumped & I know if I take it to a shop it won't act up till it is 1/4 mile from the shop where we can't do anything.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
The PDM/batt supplies power to the fuel pump for 3-4 seconds when first switched to run and then the stator takes over at run when cranked. A safety to shut fuel flow off if not running. Might want to check the plugs/wires on your pdm. Key switch also.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think the fuel pump has been rewired on this one before I purchased it. I has run for the better part of a year since I got it going (new carb) with no issues. This dieing started about 2 months ago. Will do some more checking on the wiring but the schematic is hard to follow with the manual I have. Didn't mention but don't think it makes any difference but mine is an 2004 500 4X4. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the carb and has a new kit in it but would not start with it installed. Put a Chinese knock off on to get it going and it is still going on it over a year later. Little cold blooded but once it warms up it runs good and idles good.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Rewired fuel pump and knockoff carb. Anything else? Thought it was dying unless you cycled the switch?

·
Registered
38 Posts
It will die when ever it takes a notion to. Will restart after cycling the switch to off - on - start. This morning it fired right up after sitting for about a week. Few short drives with stop & start. Took it down the dirt road for 1/2 mile and back, used low part way and high the rest. Never missed a beat. Let it sit and idle while I checked the pink wire under the hood, passenger side at a plug at I believe the alternator control switch. No 12 V as the diagram says it is supposed to have. Hour meter has been wired from 12V with key on. I have not tried to cycle the switch immediately when it dies to see what happens. Possibly some wiring changes at the junctions under the seat. Unit was used hard and not maintained well before I got it but it was priced accordingly. I knew going in there would be issues, most of which have been taken care of. This intermittent stopping is something jut came up in the last couple months or so. Have had the unit for over a year.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Pretty sure the hr meter and fuel pump are powered the same way. Temporary voltage until stator takes over to shut off meter and pump if not running. Orange wire I believe?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The wiring diagram I have shows it as being a pick wire. 3 wires at the alternator control switch ? two red w/wh and the pink in the center. The battery stays charged with no problem. Not sure where the power for this pink wire comes from yet. Haven't dug into it that far.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Going to start with the PDM and work out on that pink wire and see where it falls out at. Probably this afternoon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Didn't get to it yesterday. Used the Ranger this morning to haul off some scrap bones the dog has been chewing on. Going down the dirt road in High, running good. Started down a grade and it suddenly died. I turned the key off and right back on. I fired instantly and kept right on going. Stopped, tossed the bones in the ditch were we seen an Eagle flying earlier and left it running in High. Drove home, out into some CRP stopping a couple times and back home in the garage. Probably a total of 2 miles. Now I am thinking an intermittent short or bad connection in the ignition wiring circuit. Getting to be a real head scratcher. I have a new ignition switch on hand so may put that in to start with. OEM had the return spring broke so replaced it with an used OEM switch when I got the machine. The one on hand is a OEM switch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts