PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Polaris Ranger 700 XP 4x4 EFI
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 700 EFI that Boggs down/ Loses power when it gets warm. Another shop replaced the spark plugs, wires, and throttle cable for this problem a couple months ago. But it is doing it again so they brought it to me. I took it for a test drive, and once it got warm it would backfire, ping and eventually die. I drove it again and found that the fuel pressure was falling on its face while it was doing that. So i replaced the entire fuel tank/pump assembly with a new one from Polaris. Cleaned out the fuel line, and checked the spark plugs for proper gap one was to tight so gapped and reinstalled. Took it out on a test drive and after it warmed up it loses power, but it no longer backfires, pings or dies, just looses power and I crawl back to the shop. The Fuel pressure stays in spec the whole time. Also i doubt this has anything to do with it but i did just put a new primary, secondary clutch and belt on it a week ago. Any lead here would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Elementary, but is the oil level good? I've seen it a couple of times where low oil level will lead to low oil pressure and collapse the lifters and not allow the valves to fully open. It doesn't happen immediately after start up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Elementary, but is the oil level good? I've seen it a couple of times where low oil level will lead to low oil pressure and collapse the lifters and not allow the valves to fully open. It doesn't happen immediately after start up.
You mite be on to something there. I skipped over the basics thinking the other shop would have already done that. Oil is indeed low. Also check the air filter and found it hadnt been changed since 2007 and there has been 1030 hrs on it since. the air filter housing was full of built up oil and dust debris. Gonna change the air filter, oil filter and oil, and clean up the air filter housing and check again. Ill post my findings either way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, Thanks BPS. That was my fault for having faith in the other shop. Cleaned out the airfilter housing and crankcase breather hose. Performed an engine oil change. Test drove it and you could hear the lifters pop back up and after that ran no problems. Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts