PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a ranger. This is a first sxs for me but have been into quads and dirtbikes for years. I went with an older machine souly for the reason of the carb. I dont want to have to get out a laptop to do anything on this machine. Now with all this said I have ran into problem number one - fan wont run. I havent checked to see if the fan works or not (supplying direct power) however I have read that if it is a control module issue that they can be swoped with the sportsman control modules, true? It was also my understanding that if this is done that it can also increase the power levels of the machine? This brings in my second question which is what are the direct bolt upgrades for this model? I mainly plan to use it for yard work and hunting but also do a little trail riding and snow play too. Most others out there are atleast half again if not almost double my engine size so its nice to have a little extra under the hood.

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
Welcome aboard, Aaron.

You need to check the fan with direct power to see if it runs. If not, it could be a bad thermistor (temp switch).

I'm fairly certain that a Sportsman ECM (which controls most electrical functions, except for EFI) will not work on the Ranger. I think maybe that (and the power increase?) is getting confused for swapping the ECU (which controls fuel injection) with one from a Sportsman. You could swap the ECU from a Sportsman 700 to the Ranger XP (700), but I don't think that works on the Ranger 500.....and with yours being a carb'd machine, it's a mute point.

Unfortunately, there are not really any easy "drop in" or bolt-on" power upgrades for the 500. If you really want more power, the best thing to do is what's been called the "H.O. mod".......basically installing a cam and carb from the Sportsman 500 H.O.. That upgrade also requires using the intake boot from the Ranger 700, due to the larger carb.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts