PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6x6 2006 700EFI with the error code of 61. The symptoms are hard to start and after you do get it going and run for 45 minutes or so it starts to loose power and will die if you stop. Where would a good place to start?

·
Administrator
7,174 Posts
Reactions: gmck154x4

·
Administrator
7,174 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dude. Bowering a psi gage to check the pressure hot at the injectors. Appreciate the parts list if I need to go that rout.

·
Administrator
7,174 Posts
Ice, hang on to that gauge so you can check the FP AFTER the new pump/reg..if you need to go that route..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the long hiatus but duty called. I purchased a psi gauge and checked the pressure at the injectors after it heated up. I got a solid 40 lbs. I replaced the plugs and fired it back up. it ran for about 45 minutes doing some chores around our property then while it was idling and just quit. The battery was dead. The throttle only goes up so far and starts to sputter. Do i have a bad stator? I have a brand new battery in March. When i used a booster to start it it fired right up and ran. It acts like its not charging. Thoughts

·
Administrator
7,174 Posts
Ice, hard to start could be ...

Low Compression >>>> compression test
Old fuel>>>>>>>>>>>>>>new fuel
bad cranking voltage>>>>>check DC voltage @ battery...rev to 3000ish.shoud see nearly 14 VDC

If not nearly 14 VDC @ 3000 RPM>>>> possible bad ECM>>>>>pull connectors on ECM (silver box with fins under the hood) check for burnt pins/melted ...

If ECM is good >>>>>>possible bad stator>>>>> test per service manual with multi meter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pulled ECM and both cable connections look clean. What am I checking on the Stator? I don't see anything in my manual about Stator test. If I need to replace the stator is it a bolt on hook up and go or is it more involved than that?
It would make sense the stator is bad because I charge up the battery (Which is new) and i run for awhile then it starts to loose power then dies and will not restart due to the battery being dead. The stator is like a n alternator correct? What is the actual difference between the two?

·
Administrator
7,174 Posts
Ice, you have to pull the flywheel to replace the stator so I would use the manual and a multi meter and check voltages . It is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>easy.. The voltage regulator on a 2006 700 is built into the ECM and it is one of the first functions other than the fan to go.. Sometimes the fan will come on with the key and other times it will not come on at all. Both ways the ECM needs a rebuild.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So far i have been with you and understand. Now im confused JM. My manual says nothing about voltage. I dont think i have the actual manual since i bought it used. What is an ECM rebuild? I know im frustrating but i maybe at the end of my abilities to troubleshoot this issues. Electronics has never been my strong suit

·
Administrator
7,174 Posts
Ice.......remain calm. Here is the service manual download for 10 bucks. 2006 Polaris Ranger 700 6X6 XP Service Manual PDF Download

You will need a 5 dollar multi meter from HARBOR FREIGHT and you should know in 20 minutes what is really wrong. The silver box with fins ECM (power module) under ther hood can be rebuilt for $150.00 ...www.modulemasters.com

If it is the stator you can buy one from RM STATOR. High Quality Powersport OEM Replacement Parts | RMSTATOR

You will need HARBOR FREIGHT again for a flywheel puller . Check the line voltages and you will know..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I check the dc voltage at 3000rpm at the battery posts or someplace else?. I do have a flywheel puller thankfully

·
Administrator
7,174 Posts
Ice, that only tells you that everything is good.. But YES .......on the battery. VDC 14 of them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a multi meter already. First things first i will get the service manual and circle back with you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I'm getting ready to test the battery for voltage at 3000 rpm. will this voltage test determine whether its he ECM rebuild is needed or a stator replacement?. I have the service manual now. Lots of information

·
Administrator
7,174 Posts
So I'm getting ready to test the battery for voltage at 3000 rpm. will this voltage test determine whether its he ECM rebuild is needed or a stator replacement?. I have the service manual now. Lots of information
Ice, if you are reading around 14 volts DC @ 3k, then that means that the stator, and at least the SS voltage regulator in the ECM are functioning properly. If you are not reading around 14 volts DC, it could be either the stator OR the ECM. There are simple tests in the SERVICE MANUAL that will rule out the stator.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since I don't have a tach I gestimated 3000 rpm and I'm at just about 12.5 DC on me voltage meter. The terminals on the ECM look ok nothing burnt and the harnesses look ok. I'm guessing the stator needs to be checked. It shows in the SM how to check each post. Should i just get a new stator and replaced it. As you stated before sometimes the fan will com on when you turn the key but most of the time it doesn't.
Thanks again for all your support.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts