PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
As you stated before sometimes the fan will com on when you turn the key but most of the time it doesn't.
Does this mean i need to rebuild the ECM?

·
Administrator
7,171 Posts
Ice, I would check each stator leg against the others before contacting RM STATOR ... If your fan even "sometimes" comes on with the key..cold..... Your ECM is on the way OUT... Module Masters can fix that for less .. The solid state voltage regulator built into the ECM (Power Module aka PDM ) may be the only thing screwing up the VDC .. 12.5 is not good..

·
Registered
2011 Ranger 800 6xCentipede
266 Posts
Discovered the used 800 I bought wasn't charging when it barely started several days after bringing it home. The stator failed the manual's static test and when I got in there to replace it, discovered somebody had a starter washer fall off which found it's way behind the stator and grounded between two lobes and the case. You could smell fried wire buffet as soon as it was opened. It's working well now after replacing it. Am interested in the ECM rebuild concept, didn't know it even existed. Thank You JM!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Hey JM
I have been steadily working on the 700. In order to remove the flywheel i had to take out the gas tank. I'm glad i did that and found some fixable rust areas. By the way the service manual is worth the 10 bucks and i now have a gear pulling set. The problem was very evident when the flywheel popped off literally. I have two burnt Stator coils and you can smell the electrical burnt condition as soon as it came off. My concern is the condition of the inside of the flywheel. As you can see from the photo is is severely pitted from the stator condition. What are my options with the flywheel? It looks like it has a pressed in sleeve that may be able to be replaced buts that me thinking or hoping i don't need a new one. Check out the attached files and see what you think. I'm guessing the stator is the smoking gun and my problem persists after this repair all that's left is the ECM. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The stator will obviously need to be replaced. The flywheel is not serviceable and looking at the pic I'd replace it. A new one from Polaris is $850 but there is a used one on Powersportsnation (4010912 ) for $140 and the currently have 20% off using code 22SALE.

·
Administrator
7,171 Posts
B, is correct about the flywheel. $140.00 is really reasonable for a used flywneel. Just fyi, you need to purchase (3) items to get the 22% off this time on PSN . There are also several 700 flywheels for sale on EBAY.

Reactions: D. McB. and BPS

·
Administrator
7,171 Posts
A stator fried up that bad will often time take out portions of the PDM.. MM often recommend a stator check/change before you install a rebuilt PDM..

·
Administrator
7,171 Posts
Ice, PDM...aka>>>>>>>>>>ECM &/or power module

·
Administrator
7,171 Posts
Same.............ECM under the hood..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
JM
Thank you for leading me through this repair. I appreciate your patience and advice along the way. I now have a new understanding of the inner workings of my Polaris. I will keep you posted as I affect the repairs and get ready for winter.
Respectfully ICE!!!
The service manual references to check the functionality of the stator from Y1 TO Y2 &Y3. What is this referencing? There are no markings on the stator. Is it the terminal junction that plugs into the wiring harness?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
At the stator plug there are three or four wires. Three of them are yellow (Y1,Y2,Y3). You can check resistance between each one and it should be about 0.4 ohms. Check resistance from each one to ground and there should be no reading (infinite resistance). Check for AC voltage with engine running between each wire and they all should be about 20 VAC at idle. Your stator is toast though.

·
Administrator
7,171 Posts
three yellow....0.19 ohms... Like B said, you are looking for variation in the ohm (resistance) readings between legs..

·
Registered
2011 Ranger 800 6xCentipede
266 Posts
Hey JM
I have been steadily working on the 700. In order to remove the flywheel i had to take out the gas tank. I'm glad i did that and found some fixable rust areas. By the way the service manual is worth the 10 bucks and i now have a gear pulling set. The problem was very evident when the flywheel popped off literally. I have two burnt Stator coils and you can smell the electrical burnt condition as soon as it came off. My concern is the condition of the inside of the flywheel. As you can see from the photo is is severely pitted from the stator condition. What are my options with the flywheel? It looks like it has a pressed in sleeve that may be able to be replaced buts that me thinking or hoping i don't need a new one. Check out the attached files and see what you think. I'm guessing the stator is the smoking gun and my problem persists after this repair all that's left is the ECM. Thoughts?
That looks (and smells) familiar! I have also used PSN on several occasions and have only good things to say about them.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts