PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Red warning light on dash came on last night. Has 767 hours on it. I have checked the owners manual and don't see anything regarding this red warning light. What would cause this to come on? Saw no difference in the operation of the UTV. It is very low on fuel though. What triggers this light?

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
Quail, high temp warning light . Have you noticed whether the fan is cycling regularly ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quail, high temp warning light . Have you noticed whether the fan is cycling regularly ?
I didn't notice anything unusual but it only ran for a short time. I dont use it very much just around the house pulling an aluminum trailer and going back and forth to the dog kennel. I bought it several years ago with over 600 hours on it but it has the original tires. The dealer said someone had left the key on and that caused the high number of hours.

I will check it out tomorrow and let you know if the fans are coming on.

I certainly appreciate you responding to my post. Thank You

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fan is not cycling. How do i trouble shoot? Runs fine but red light comes on. Is fan motor bad or is there a fuse or something i can check. This is first opporitunity I have had to check it out again. It was a little low on antifreeze but not mutch. Fan is not coming on at all.

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
QT , the 2006 700 has a device under the hood called a POWER DISTRIBUTION MODULE . It is a silver box with fins on the passenger side. Polaris installed this 'solid state' garbage instead of installing relays and fuses and a voltage regulator . Almost everything that requires power is routed though this PDM . It is also known as a ECM that is NOT TO BE CONFUSED with the ECU that is mounted under the drivers side seat. When a PDM starts to go , normally it is the fan that is effected . It will usually NOT come on at all but sometimes it will come on with the key when the engine is COLD . Many times when you pull the big plug connectors out of each end of the ECM, you will find that (3) fat yellow wires which come from the STATOR have the pins a bit toasty where they enter the connector. these wires are routed into the PDM because the VOLTAGE REGULATION is done inside.

You need to verify that the fan is good by unplugging it and if it does not automatically turn ON , I would wire 12 volts to it to verify that it operable. If it comes on with the aux 12 volts that you put to it , I would say your ECM is on it's way out. It normally starts with the fan then works it's way to the fuel injectors etc and then in the end you turn the key and then nothing happens including no starter .. The worst thing on a ECM I have found is a weak/bad battery. This will start the death process of the ECM.

You need to check the condition of the STATOR per the SERVICE MANUAL.. Easy enough to do with the instructions in the manual. >>>> 2006 Polaris Ranger 700 4X4 XP Service Manual PDF Download

MODULE MASTERS can rebuild your ECM for $150.00 and will guarantee it for (5) years . You do need to check the numbers on the STATOR output because a bad STATOR will just kill the rebuilt ECM . These guys are AWESOME..

·
Registered
9 Posts
So if I wire a 12 volt power to the fan, and if it works its the power modue. I saw this under the front hood. I was looking for a fuse box but there isnt any that i could find. I will direct wire the fan and see if it works. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. I dont use this ranger very much. It is a work vehicle in the yard. It may sit for weeks with the trickle charge charger on itl But, when I need it, I need itl.

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
QT , unplug the thermister (temp sensor) that is right below the thermostat housing and see if the fan kicks on first. That is a fail safe built into it. If it doesn't automatically kick the fan on then put 12 volts directly to the fan. If THAT lights up the fan then it is the PDM.......on the way out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am not good with these things. First problem I have had with it. I have put power to the fan with a power probe and it works when I apply the power. I do not know where to look for the thermostat housing to un hook the temp sensor. Can the thermostat housing be seen from the front after raising the hood, or do I need to look for it by removing the seat. One thing for sure the fan does work but I guess I need to know for sure if it is the PDM or perhaps the thermostat sticking or not working properly?

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
QT, pull the seat bottom off............ follow the top radiator hose back from the radiator to the thermostat housing ..The thermister is straight DOWN on the drivers side from the thermostat housing...... By unhooking the connection to the thermister WITH THE KEY ON .... it should automatically engage the fan.

You have confirmed the fan is working with the aux 12 volt application so you may want to skip disconnecting the thermister.

From what you have told me I surmise you have a PDM rebuild in your future but I dont want to spend your money without checking every avenue. It is up to you how you want to proceed from here.

if the cooling system if full so that the thermister can read the temp it is doubtful that the thermostat is faulty. I have seen a hundred overheating Ranger 700's and it WAS NEVER from a bad T-stat .. Never...

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
QT.................. #1 is the thermister
Motor vehicle Font Engineering Automotive design Auto part

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think I have found the connector. It is in a tough place to get to. So far I have been unable to disconnect the plug as I can see the tabs on the connector. I think I will go ahead and get the rebuild

·
Registered
9 Posts
DID buy and download the repair manual. I am confused about the battery. I have a trickle charger hooked up. This ranger may sit for a month or longer in my garage with the charger connected. Seems I saw somewhere that a low battery could cause the PDM to go bad. Should I disconnect the battery and only connect it with the unit is going to be used? This seems like a lot of trouble, but if the charger shows full charge on the battery, I don't understand why this would cause a problem with the PDM but perhaps it does.

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
QT, if the battery is good and readily accepts a charge and holds it you have no problem batterry wise. Anytime that the battery was on it's way out and needed charging to be able to start or a JUMP.......those are the PDM killers...

Have you pulled the plugs on the PDM to check for burnt /melted pins ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sent my PDM to Module Masters. I got a call from them telling me the PDM was completely dead. They rebuilt it promptly and I hooked it up tonight. Still no cooling fan. Red light on dash came back on and fan never started. What do I do now?

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
QT, the first thing to do is call MM and talk to them about it. They are always ready to help. Is it possible a pin is burnt in the PDM connector and it is not making contact ?

What we know for sure ....... The fan works and it is plugged into the thermister .. Just needs to be powered by the PDM ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Called them today and the fellow I spoke with said to start in replacing the temperature sensor and go from there. Ordered one but have no idea where it is located on the engine.

Where on the frame is my VIN number. I looked but I can't find it. No title when purchased so can't look there.

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
QT, the VIN on a 2006 700... open the hood and the tag is straight ahead on the left (passenger side) .

The thermister is right below the thermostat cover on the drivers side. #1 is the thermister .
Motor vehicle Font Engineering Automotive design Auto part

·
Registered
9 Posts
Apparently the temp sensor is causing the problem. Finally got the connector off the sensor, A bugger to get to. Unplugged connector turned key on and my cooling fan started immediately. All lights, switches, heater blower motor are still operative, Have a new sensor ordered. Is there any written instructions on how to get this sensor out? What will have to come off to get a wrench on it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts