PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've drained and thoroughly Cleaned EVERYTHING. When grounding the plugs to the engine, it does spark but will not start. It just backfires every few seconds while cranking over. I would take it to my local Polaris mechanic but I've been raped so many times I thought I'd try to fix it myself (but maybe not?!?)

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
I've drained and thoroughly Cleaned EVERYTHING. When grounding the plugs to the engine, it does spark but will not start. It just backfires every few seconds while cranking over. I would take it to my local Polaris mechanic but I've been raped so many times I thought I'd try to fix it myself (but maybe not?!?)
Jim, did you remove the gas tank to clean ?

·
Registered
387 Posts
When you say "Underwater" do you really mean underwater? Like up to or over the top of the roll cage? How deep was the water? This info will help diagnose the extent of the issues you may face. Also what kind of water - fresh or salt.

Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well... actually... it's a 2007 Sportsman 800. I "assumed' the engine was the same as my 2008 RZR?

And YES, I tore it apart and thoroughly cleaned everything. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it was. We've thought about replacing the ECU and/or the CDI. But it "acts like" it wants to start but just backfires every few seconds. Thanks.

·
Registered
387 Posts
New battery? What's the voltage during cranking? does it backfire just as you stop cranking or some other time?

Mike

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Yes it was. We've thought about replacing the ECU and/or the CDI. But it "acts like" it wants to start but just backfires every few seconds. Thanks.
Have you pulled the plug on the ECU and all the sensors to check for water and applied some di-electric grease ? 4 days or 4 minutes for a ECU not in a water proof box and submerged is obviously not good. :icon_frown::icon_frown: I am thinking it would be a miracle if it wasn't damaged.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Didn't notice any fuel smell. I'll try the ether. Thanks.

If you haven't, you may need to pull the fuel line from the rail and purge the water from the lines. If it fires with ether or a little gas in the plug holes, there's probably still water in the system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts