PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the forum. I just purchased a used 2007 Ranger 500 EFI. When I got it I noticed a slipping when trying to go up hill. I was in low range and I would have to let off the gas and then reapply gas to get the drive system to catch. After reading several posts on here, I replaced the belt and that seemed to fix that particular problem. I have also noticed a resonating "whaa - whaa" noise coming from the clutch area I think. This happens in low range and the frequency of it increases as the buggy speeds up. I do not hear this noise in high range (but it does have a high pitch whine that I think is normal for them). Also, it seems the belt slipping has come back. I haven't ridden it much since replacing the belt and most of my riding has been in low range. Thanks for any and all replies.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If the noise only occurs while you are in low range then the issue is likely in the transmission. I had a similar issue on my 2008 700 and it wound up being a $12 bearing, no biggie. I'm certainly not saying that's you problem, just that is was mine.

There really isn't much in the transmission on these. The one that failed in mine was the one on the far right. I got it out of there when it first started to make a rackett to avoid a much costlier problem.

196965_426162544121651_878048129_n.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hour meter is showing less than 260 hours total. I just replaced the belt a few hours ago. It made the noise before and after replacing the belt.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
The trannys on the older (pre 2008) models are notoriously noisy. My '06 was pretty bad. Try overfilling (will have to be done through the vent tube) the tranny by about 4 ounces to help quieten it down some. It helps, but don't expect it to be a miracle cure.

In 2008, they changed from straight to helical cut gears and that helped some but they were still not what I would consider "quiet". And if you have a cab or roof, that noise is amplified. You'll just have to live with some noise, but if you notice it getting louder, that could be a sign of worn internal parts and a potentially serious issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think my belt slipping and the noise I hear are related. A few days ago I noticed the noise also in neutral. I took the covers off and removed the secondary clutch. When I spin that shaft (Input shaft??), I can hear bearing noise. Not terrible. Is this bearing normally submerged in the trans fluid? Should I try overfilling the transmission first before I tear into it? I am putting in a clutch kit for the belt slipping issue so I will have most of the stuff off to remove the transmission. How tough of a job is removing the transmission and what all is involved? Service manual?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
My tranny started making a high pitch noise on my 500 and I done wore all the gears bad in the tranny from having muddy water and grit that I didnt know about. It was in low gear also that I heard it not high range.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I don't think my belt slipping and the noise I hear are related. A few days ago I noticed the noise also in neutral. I took the covers off and removed the secondary clutch. When I spin that shaft (Input shaft??), I can hear bearing noise. Not terrible. Is this bearing normally submerged in the trans fluid? Should I try overfilling the transmission first before I tear into it? I am putting in a clutch kit for the belt slipping issue so I will have most of the stuff off to remove the transmission. How tough of a job is removing the transmission and what all is involved? Service manual?
Take a look at my tranny rebuild videos. http://www.prcforum.com/forum/117-informational-how-videos/32382-prc-videos-ranger-tranny-rebuild.html

I can rebuild the tranny quicker than I can remove and install it, although neither is a horrendous job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to give an update on this thread. I installed the DDP clutch kit and this resolved the issues I was having. This particular clutch kit includes a new secondary clutch and I believe this is what corrected my vibration/noise issues. I did have one question about the installation and Dale answered it promptly. Thank you for all the replies and help.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I wanted to give an update on this thread. I installed the DDP clutch kit and this resolved the issues I was having. This particular clutch kit includes a new secondary clutch and I believe this is what corrected my vibration/noise issues. I did have one question about the installation and Dale answered it promptly. Thank you for all the replies and help.
That's good to hear . So, the waaa, waaaaaa noise is totally gone ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I listen real, real hard I can faintly hear it and it was only heard in low range. With the clutch kit installed, the RPM/gear ratio is different. I can now use high range for most of my driving needs (which I prefer). I now only use low range when navigating tricky terrain.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts