PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will start but has trouble staying running. Will run ok if it is in neutral and I increase the rpm’s. I’m just starting to troubleshoot and have viewed some previous threads but thought I would start from scratch. Thanks in advance for any help.
John

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, I've had the same issues. You need to get a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure at the fuel rail via the shrader valve. 39 psi +/- 3 psi. You can buy the pump rebuild kit that comes with everything you need. Might as well get rid of the black canister filter above the pump and replace it with a short piece of submersible fuel line (5/16"). I installed an external filter.

·
Registered
59 Posts
BTW, I was going to replace the entire assembly but you can't buy it for a 2007 without buying the fuel tank with it. Just FYI.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m gonna check the fuel pressure and I’ll let you know. Any place to get a schematic of the fuel system?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just bought a service manual online. You don't need a schematic for the fuel system. Lift the seat and it's all right there. In the tank you have these components in this order from fuel in the tank to the injectors. Filter sock, pump, black canister with a cartridge filter in it, fuel pressure regulator, piece of fuel line to the outlet. From there the fuel line goes to the fuel rail. That black canister split open on mine and caused the fuel to just recirc in the tank. I tokk it out and put a 3" piece of fuel line in it's place when I replaced the fuel pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What’s a good place to find a service manual? Might be a dumb question, but you don’t know me. 😁

·
Registered
5,816 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks jungleman. I have a fuel pressure tester but not the adapter I need to attach it to the Shrader valve.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Calvin you can normally rent a FP tester from one of the big box auto parts stores for not much.....

If I had to guess .........with your symptoms........you have low fuel pressure ......from either a fuel pump going away and/or a plugged canister filter in the tank.......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I have the correct adapter now. What is the correct process for testing the pressure? Connect the gauge and? Just turn the key on or start the machine? I’m not a mechanic sorry.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Screw it onto the Schraeder valve (looks like the end of a valve stem on the tires) which is at the end of the fuel rail. The tester should have a pressure release button with a small hose coming off of it. Hold that button in and turn the key to on until fuel comes out which will get the air out of the tester hose. Now turn the key to on again and read the pressure. Whatcha got?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Yeap......What B said.... get the motor warm/hot . The pumps like to fail as the temp goes up.........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

so this is what I got. This is the pressure when I turn the key on( did this several times and the reading was the same) I tried starting it but it wouldN’t stay running (idling) Got it past the rough spot and it seemed very erratic (the pressure) what’s next? Thanks for help so far everyone!

·
Registered
77 Posts
when was the last time you installed new spark plugs? my '10 800 EFI crew was running erratic,...turned out that a fresh set of plugs (even though they looked good, color wise) did the trick.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Calvin, if you are serious about fix'n this Ranger you need to check for stored EFI codes.......... Trans in neutral.......rotate key three times to ON.........not start and then leave in the ON position on the third rotation...Check cluster...........WAITE..............two digit codes will appear ........61 is end of codes.... You probably have the normal TBAP and/or TPS harness snafu's but lets see if they throw a code..........They don't always....

ps.........is that an actual fuel pressure tester ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Checked codes. No codes came up.

It is a fuel pressure gauge from a local automotive shop. I ordered one for myself so I don’t have to keep taking it back. Got it today and will re check the pressure tomorrow.

I just changed the plugs. I’m going to recheck the gaps tomorrow as well. New air filter as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
You probably have the normal TBAP and/or TPS wire harness snafu's .........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Final had a chance to get back at it.
checked plug gaps.

they’re new just recently. They were really sooty. Only reason they showed any metal is because I adjusted gaps and some rubbed off.

Put plugs back in and checked codes. No codes came up

checked fuel pressure

this is with key just on.
Started it, had to give it a little gas to get it running. At about 1200 rpm’s fuel pressure was pretty steady around mid thirties to low 40’s

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts