PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 2007 ranger 500 and it shifts very easily into all gears without any grinding or anything. However most of the time it acts like low is just another neutral however if it does engage it acts completely normal pulls hard, doesnt pop out of gear, or grind or anything unusual. I have unhooked the cable and shifted in through the gears several times to rule out shift cable problems. I have also took off the cover and checked the gears, detent paw and compression spring and it all looked brand new. I dont know what to do or check next, please help

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
The first thing I would check is the belt and clutch(s). It's the easiest to check and probably the least expensive to fix. If the clutch(s) are good you may have to dig into the transmission of the cable is properly adjusted and shift pawls are good.
One other possibility is a broken axle/CV when in Turf Mode (assuming your machine has that mode). If one axle/CV, splines were worn (Polaris calls them driveshafts) were broken in turf mode it would seem like you were in neutral even if the transmission was working perfectly. I would think it would act up in high, low and reverse if that were the case and the driveshaft would have to be broken/damaged in such a way that it worked part time so I view that as an outlier possibility, but checking is easy and free so why not put it out there?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I just recently bought a 2007 ranger 500 and it shifts very easily into all gears without any grinding or anything. However most of the time it acts like low is just another neutral however if it does engage it acts completely normal pulls hard, doesnt pop out of gear, or grind or anything unusual. I have unhooked the cable and shifted in through the gears several times to rule out shift cable problems. I have also took off the cover and checked the gears, detent paw and compression spring and it all looked brand new. I don't know what to do or check next, please help
Rohde, so you have removed the cable from the tab/lever (bellcrank) and shifted into LOW several times by hand with engine off ? After "shifting into low by hand, does low always engage when you go 'engine on' with it ?

Never hurts to check the belt and clutches like Steve said, especially on a NEW to YOU machine, but if things are normal in HIGH & REVERSE, I would think that the problem is somewhere else.

I would dump the AGL transmission fluid carefully into a clean container and check for metal particles etc. It is always a good idea to do this with all the gear cases on a NEW to YOU machine. I always check the quantity that comes out of gear cases , especially looking for the 5 ounces of DEMAND DRIVE fluid that should come out of the front gear case to make sure seals are not leaking.

Tell us what you got..........................

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have checked the clutches and belt, the belt is worn some but not real bad I have a new one coming Tuesday. All the drive shafts are fine, this unit came from a factory and was used by the maintenance department to carry tool bags and parts etc back and forth from different buildings to the maintenance shop and has never left the pavement or even been in 4x4. I have not tried to shift with it shut off I didnt know that would make a difference, I will try that shortly and report back if it works thanks.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I have checked the clutches and belt, the belt is worn some but not real bad I have a new one coming Tuesday. All the drive shafts are fine, this unit came from a factory and was used by the maintenance department to carry tool bags and parts etc back and forth from different buildings to the maintenance shop and has never left the pavement or even been in 4x4. I have not tried to shift with it shut off I didnt know that would make a difference, I will try that shortly and report back if it works thanks.
R, the questions I ask have a real purpose. I have been at this Polaris shtick for a while......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I have tried to start it in low gear dozens of times and it still does the same thing. It has never been hard to shift or made any grinding or popping noises just acts like it's still in neutral and wont pull in low most of the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no idea what to check from here it seems like it should be something easy because the transmission shifts smooth as butter and doesn't make any noises. Thank you guys for bearing with me while i try to figure this out.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Ok, I am going to give this one more try before totally blowing it off.........I have better things to do than repeat myself..

Rohde, so you have removed the cable from the tab/lever (bellcrank) and shifted into LOW by hand with engine off ? After "shifting into low by hand, does low always engage when you go 'engine on' with it ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I'm frustrating you jungleman I am new to polaris, yes I tried it a couple dozen times last night and it only engage low once or twice. Each time I shifted back to neutral then shut it off and started over, I tried with and without the cable connected. Just out of curiosity what would that tell you, as I am trying to learn these machines?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
R, it would rule out 'with a newbe' that it wasn't just a simple cable adjustment. You need to proceed to the other directive in my post to dump the fluid and check its condition, quality and quantity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thank you, it will be a day or two before I cam do that, I an working nights and left it away my dad's house, thank you for your help so far

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
You will need 15.2 ounces of Polaris AGL to refill unless it looks like the transmission needs to come out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts