PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched all the ways I know how and cant find what im looking for...here Is what I have 2007 xp with 30inch mudlights and some times 29.5 laws, 6inch gorilla lift with a slip on exhaust.. I put a HPD clutch Full Kit (with different secondary and different helix and springs and weights) in it about 4 years ago to go the little Sarah and ride..it worked great but now im back in the south and was wanting to put my mud clutch back in the bike....it had a EPI kit with different weights and springs but I cant remember what I had in it ....can someone with a little knowledge tell me where I need to start...I have several weights several springs and cant remember what I had..i can post pics of what I have in the box (wife was helping me pick up the shop and just put all of the stuff in one box)..I have the clutch out of the bike so I was wanting to do this before I put this back in the unit ...thanks

·
Vendor
2,169 Posts
Im kinda curious if it worked with all that in moad why change it? The only time you change clutching on where you are is for elevation. So unless it was set up for above 4000 ft elevation then leave what you had in it then

Todd

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
You would get better performance with the right springs and helix on the HPD kit. That's a Team clutch. I haven't worked with the EPI enough to know which parts are which.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it worked great for the sand dunes ...but for mud ridding and trail ridding its not the right set up...with the mud set up I couldn't pull the dunes ..it would run out of power about halfway up the dune...it was not back shifting..

Im kinda curious if it worked with all that in moad why change it? The only time you change clutching on where you are is for elevation. So unless it was set up for above 4000 ft elevation then leave what you had in it then

Todd

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea that's what im trying to get back to...but I cant remember what springs and helix I had I have sever different set up and have gotten confused on where to go to get back to the mud set up...

You would get better performance with the right springs and helix on the HPD kit. That's a Team clutch. I haven't worked with the EPI enough to know which parts are which.

·
Vendor
2,169 Posts
it worked great for the sand dunes ...but for mud ridding and trail ridding its not the right set up...with the mud set up I couldn't pull the dunes ..it would run out of power about halfway up the dune...it was not back shifting..
I understand why what you had would not work in the dunes but I don't understand why your dune set up does not work in the trail or mud. What do you think the mud set up was doing that the dune set up is not doing for you in them mud.

I want to know what you think the short comings of the dune set up is in the mud

Todd

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
I see where Todd is going with this. A good sand setup should work good everywhere. Sand and mud both rob you of power, and a clutch kit just puts the power band where it should be with the larger tires.

·
Vendor
2,169 Posts
I see where Todd is going with this. A good sand setup should work good everywhere. Sand and mud both rob you of power, and a clutch kit just puts the power band where it should be with the larger tires.
That is correct but I want him to tell me what he thinks the sand short comings are in the mud trail area then see if I can help.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
well when I was mud ridding after getting back from the dunes the bike would not pullout of the mud like it did before I put the sand clutch in .....the bike didn't fill like it was getting back to the low gear when I would be in a hole...just didn't seem to have the power like before almost like it was in high range (not quite as tall geared but somewhere in-between low and high range) ..... I fond a nother box with what I think is the factory clutch parts and a receipt from bikeman ...I was wrong about the first post..the EPI kit was from my sportsman 800...I replaced the factory clutch on my XP with the bikeman kit back in 07...I will post a pic of the receipt in a little bit to show what I had in the bike before I went to the sand clutch....I do remember taking the drive and the driven clutches off and replacing the parts inside.....

That is correct but I want him to tell me what he thinks the sand short comings are in the mud trail area then see if I can help.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here is the pic of the clutch receipt....this is the mud set up I was running ...I worked great but would not climb the sand dunes at little Sarah...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok im still trying to get back to the set up I had ...here are the parts I have.

on the bike I have 2062 weights in the clutch..cant tell what spring is in it looks kinda brown but could be dirty

this is a pic of the clutch on the bike

here is what I have in parts

I have some 2020 weights in the box with a small blue spring...this was in the box that the clutch I ordered from bikeman back in 07

I also have a set of 1066 weights in the HPD box with a big green with gray stripe and a small red with yellow springs along with a helix...

I remember replacing the helix for the back shifting for the dunes and it did make a big difference ..

I think I have the stock Polaris parts on the bike with some different parts inside....could amyone help me with the right set up for ridding...not going back to the dunes anytime soon....thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts