PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Polaris Ranger 700 XP 4x4 EFI
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im working on a friends 2008 700 EFI that wont idle. Other then oil changes he hadnt serviced it since he owned it. I did a full service on the machine before tackling the wont idle part. Replaced the air filter and spark plugs, wires, as well as the crankcase breather assembly. I checked for codes, none present. Check fuel pressure, it stays steady at 39 psi. did a compression check of both cylinders both are at 160 psi. Inspected the tbap, and tps wiring with only one wire showing wires. I also adjusted the TPS to spec of .660. I can get it started by holding the brake and giving it throttle but once it is running it is surging. I also have a new throttle boot in route. i couldnt find any cracks but cant hurt to change it right. Any help on getting it to idle and stop surgin would be apreciated.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
You need to give a good pull on each sensor wire close to the connector. Watch for insulation stretching. If the TBAP harness is still original it's almost a guarantee that it is bad. Get new ones from OTB Powersports.

·
Administrator
7,761 Posts
Yes, what BPS said....

Miles /hours ?

Fuel is known to be good ?

Can you clarify this : " Inspected the tbap, and tps wiring with only one wire showing wires ".......

You mentioned that you set the TPS to spec. Was that the TPS itself you set to .660.... or ........you adjusted the 'D' screw to .660 ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, what BPS said....

Miles /hours ?

Fuel is known to be good ?

Can you clarify this : " Inspected the tbap, and tps wiring with only one wire showing wires ".......

You mentioned that you set the TPS to spec. Was that the TPS itself you set to .660.... or ........you adjusted the 'D' screw to .660 ?
Fuel is good, drained tank and lines, then filled with fresh fuel. 3281miles and 355 hrs. to clarify I pulled the protective cloth wrapping off the TBAP and TPS pigtails and only found the yellow wire to the TBAP worn to the point of showing wire strands, I dont find any pulling in wires. And i ADjuste the TPS itself to the Spec of .660 that the book calls for. Im planning on digging deep into the harness this weekend. I do have a TBAP harness on the way from OTB now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, here is an update. Rechecked my fuel pressure it stays at 39 psi. I have replaced the air filter, spark plugs and wires, throttle adapter (boot between throttle body and Engine), and just wired in a new TPS Pigtail. I set the TPS at .660 as spec says. I can get it started but have to step on the throttle pedal to do so. once it started it still surging and as you give it more gas it still surges but starts to backfire as well. There are no codes showing. I'm banging my head against the wall here trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well figured this one out on my own. After all the external faults were fixed opened up the top end and found the cylinder one wall to be damaged. Confused as hell why it showed good compression. rebuilt the top end and was good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts