PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a 2008 Ranger Browning crew 700 xp that is giving me fits. The machine will bog down at anything over 1/4 throttle. Will not run full speed. Checked fuel pressure and it is around 29 psi. Bought a replacement fuel pump and installed. New fuel pump would not crank the machine at all. It would turn over and die. Put old pump back on and it would run. Returned the fuel pump and ordered another one. removed old pump and installed new one and it had no power. Returned that pump and they replaced it with a new one. I installed the new pump and it pumps fuel with out the fuel line on. When I hook the fuel line back to it it will not fill the fuel rail with fuel. It will crank and die just like the first one. Put the old one back in and it will run. Any ideas on how to fix this? What am I doing wrong?

·
6,994 Posts
JA, the round black canister fuel filter above the fuel pump may be plugged/cracked. The pump is only powered by the key/ECU for three seconds UNLESS the engine starts for safety reasons.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jugleman, Thanks for the response. I knew about the key powering the fuel pump but fuel pumps out of the pump when the key is on and the fuel line is removed. Then I install the fuel line back and it will not pump fuel to the end of the rail. I hear it pumping but its not enough to keep the machine running. Where exactly is this fuel filter canister?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The brand new pump is the one that will not crank the machine. As soon as i put the old pump back on, it will crank and run. It runs like crap but it runs and I can use it.

·
6,994 Posts
Need to check fuel pressure.....

JA, the round black canister fuel filter above the fuel pump may be plugged/cracked.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jungleman, So last night i drove the buggy a mile or so. It has no power but will ride if you find the one "sweet spot" in the pedal. It boggs down, backfires, and runs like its going to blow up. Then the battery light started flashing, and it limped back to the house. Could this all be related to fuel pressure? These new fuel pumps will not work in the buggy.

·
6,994 Posts
Need to check fuel pressure.....

JA, the round black canister fuel filter above the fuel pump may be plugged/cracked.

Reactions: Rene' and yooper265

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jungleman, 29 PSI at the pump when cycling the key. Can I bypass this filter and put one outside the tank? Would this fix the problem?

·
6,994 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now that I have that fixed it led me to a new problem. The gas pedal is still not very responsive. Machine still bogs in spots. Yesterday it started cutting off when slowing down to turn or if I stopped. It would crank again if i gave it gas and would run fine until I tried to stop or slow down. Any ideas what could be causing this?

·
6,994 Posts
JA, first recheck the fuel pressure . Then, if you haven't changed out the TBAP harness and cleaned the sensor with MAPP or CARB CLEANER ....I would be looking at that .. Check for stored EFI codes. What ever is wwrong, ain't much.. Jus gotta hunt and peck..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jungleman,
I replaced with another fuel pump and fixed that problem. I cleaned the sensor, checked the harness and no codes. The machine will idle fine until warm, once the machine is hot it will die when stopping. give it gas and it will crank and run until you stop again. Just basically running like crap again. Any ideas to try next?

·
6,994 Posts
JA, have you checked the fuel pressure with a gauge ? Did you change out the canister filter ? A new pump means>>>>>>>>NOtta..

·
6,994 Posts
JA, Then, if you haven't changed out the TBAP harness and cleaned the sensor with MAPP or CARB CLEANER ....I would be looking at that .. Check for stored EFI codes.

·
6,994 Posts
JA, also check the throttle body adapter for cracks where the flange bolts to the head. The air box boots also like to crack right around where the TBAP sensor is installed. This happens to ALL 700's sooner or later. Start it up and spray some starting fluid or carb cleaner around the TB adapter and the air box and see if the you get a change in idle RPM. The cracks let the the TB and air box boot suck air (and dirt) into the engine.

If the TBAP harness has never been replaced then it is bad. I have seen bad TBAP wires as early as 100 hours on the 700's .

Check the TPS harness for chafed wires as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts