PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Ranger 700xp
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a recent trip at Top trails, the ranger begin experiencing a high idle 1270-1300ish RPM condition which made it hard to change gears. Once I had time, I decided to take the advise of my fellow PRC members by cleaning the throttle body and adjusting the TPS back to the base .580 setpoint. Following the cleaning and reset, I proceeded to make the final .660 adjustment. Once completing the above steps I felt I was ready to give her a turn of the key. So far all seemed accurate except for one condition. That's the current idle of 890-940 RPM which is low and causing the engine to sound like its missing/skipping. This low idle remains following a 3-5 mile test run.
20200417_191416.jpg

I'm open for some help.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
"After a recent trip at Top trails, the ranger begin experiencing a high idle 1270-1300ish RPM condition which made it hard to change gears "

Lone, it is strange that out of the blue the idle went high without a sticky throttle cable , a vacuum leak or a slip of the "D" screw on the throttle body. I would make sure the throttle body adapter is not cracked where it bolts to the head and clean the TBAP sensor. The TBAP harness has been changed out to a OTB ?

Soooooooo, it was idling and revving normally and then just took off ?

·
Registered
2008 Ranger 700xp
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a thorough inspection of the TB boot adapters and did not see any cracks. The TBAP sensor appears to have been changed but was before my time with the Ranger.

It had been idling and revving like normal until going on a long trail ride at moderate speeds. During the trial ride when we would stop, I started noticing a slight increase when we would stop periodically. Once the ride was over and back home, the very next day was when I noticed the change in RPM condition.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Lone, take a can of ether or carb cleaner and with the engine at idle, spray on the TB adapter and spray all the way back to the air box . If you get a idle change, you have a vacuum leak .

I was mainly referring to the TBAP sensor harness. Changes in riding elevations exacerbates a problem with the sensor AND more so with a faulty TBAP harness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts