PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for having me.

Prior to joining and writing this post I have spent a week or so researching and just cant find my exact problem. I am a new owner of a used 08 Ranger Crew 700. I knew it had some issues when I purchased it. The machine will not "launch" from a stop or exceed about 25mph/4500 rpm without bogging down. I have determined it is fuel starvation. I have around 36 psi fuel pressure at idle, but upon acceleration drops quickly to as low as 25 psi when it reaches the point of bogging down. I was so excited I discovered a bad fuel pump only to have the same situation with the new fuel pump and sock filter.

Is it the Pressure Regulator? I have ordered one, but hear this is uncommon.

The built in filter (final filter) above the fuel pump? I have read where someone poked holes through this filter to allow it to flow freely again.

Obviously trying to avoid buying the entire fuel pump assembly.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Welcome to the forum! While I've not experienced this particular problem, just from past threads on the forum, I would say that you're probably gonna need to replace the fuel pump.
I'm sure one of the "gurus" will be along shortly to address your issue.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Just as usual the second I posted I found one of those links you just gave. I will eliminate the canister filter first since new regulator isn't here yet anyway. I will post back results.

Any more information to offer on the after tank filter mentioned? Any thing special to make sure it handles the pressure or is it common?

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Thanks! Just as usual the second I posted I found one of those links you just gave. I will eliminate the canister filter first since new regulator isn't here yet anyway. I will post back results.

Any more information to offer on the after tank filter mentioned? Any thing special to make sure it handles the pressure or is it common?
Where I am at, I use one of these mounted to the frame right next to the gas tank. https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Mini-10TM-10-Micron-Assembly-MAR-MINIF/dp/B004K9JQBQ
Water (condensation) and dirt combination and I really recommend them but you can probably get by with just any inline filter from NAPA/AUTO ZONE/O'REILYS that is for a fuel injected engine.(40psi fuel line pressure) They will know.........:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bypassed the non serviceable filter in the fuel pump assembly with a piece of hose, problem solved. Thank you. I just ran it quickly to see if that resolved the issue.

Now to install the external filter. If I am only adding a simple inline, do I just cut out a piece of the factory fuel line enough to allow for the filter? Do you know the size of the fuel line off the top of your head? I can figure out if not.

Thanks again. On to the next problem, really just catching up maintenance at this point.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Bypassed the non serviceable filter in the fuel pump assembly with a piece of hose, problem solved. Thank you. I just ran it quickly to see if that resolved the issue.

Now to install the external filter. If I am only adding a simple inline, do I just cut out a piece of the factory fuel line enough to allow for the filter? Do you know the size of the fuel line off the top of your head? I can figure out if not.

Thanks again. On to the next problem, really just catching up maintenance at this point.
DT, yeah just cut an inch of hose where you want it and take it with you to the parts store............dont forget the clamps...........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One other quick question. The black wire that was attached to the canister filter. What should I do with it? I just stuck it under one of the hose clamps, is that ok?

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
One other quick question. The black wire that was attached to the canister filter. What should I do with it? I just stuck it under one of the hose clamps, is that ok?
Yep... No worries..........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts