PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm scratching my head here. So I went out ice fishing yesterday alot of water on the ice. Ran fine all day. Woke up this morning and it had no power and ran rough.
1 plugs looked a bit lean when I pulled them
2 sprayed carb clean around the throttle body and boot to check for cracks and so called worn out throttle body ( dealer told me to ) no rpm change .so ok I guess.
3 checked wiring to tps no broken wires but the connecter looks burnt .can't post pics so no help to you guys .
4.t bap un plugged and found a wire that (seamed) to be broke in the coating but not sure. Pulled lightly and it stretched and broke. Thought it was suppose to run rich with wire broke but seems lean.
5 run the motor with the t bap unplugged and it's really rich
6 throttle body looks good in the inside seals good closes tight
7 scratching my head some more
8 idk what to think

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
I'd start by fixing the TBAP wires. Get the one from OTB Powersports.....it has thicker wires than OEM and is cheaper.

It "should" default to a rich setting when there's any sort of malfunction with the TBAP, but who knows.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Replace the Tbap harness and I bet it will run fine again. They were notorious for breaking into at the connection to the TBAP and back where Polaris zip tied them too tight and they worn through the wiring.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think it was initially the t bap. NO codes were shown. Codes showed up after I removed the harness and possibly broke the wire. Now I have codes. And it's running really rich. It has to be a wiring problem it ran fine till it got wet and froze.

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
What would cause it to starve for fuel or act like the choke is on but not run rich
A weak or failing fuel pump will do that, and that's also not an uncommon......but I'd fix the TBAP wires before chasing another issue that might be nonexistent.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. New harness came in and installed it. Starts and stays running now. Took it for a couple mile ride down the road. Seems boggy. The idle fluctuates between 1250 and 1150. Doesn't seem like it's idling smooth Sounds like it has hiccups. Doesn't seem to be running rich anymore. Tps is set where it's supposed to be also. What should my next step be?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
.660 and the idle screw looks to never been touched its still has the sealing on it .im not throwing a temp light or over heating as for getting hot but the valve cover seems to be very hot but what am i looking for getting hot .im gonna pull my plugs in the morning and look and see if its lean or not i rodded on it pretty good tonight out on the snowy trails.

·
Administrator
7,005 Posts
.660 and the idle screw looks to never been touched its still has the sealing on it .im not throwing a temp light or over heating as for getting hot but the valve cover seems to be very hot but what am i looking for getting hot .im gonna pull my plugs in the morning and look and see if its lean or not i rodded on it pretty good tonight out on the snowy trails.
The 09' had cooling fan issue (OEM), curious if the unit had defaulted to limp mode, since you stated, it seemed to be bogged down.
But then you stated, you were not getting any codes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.