PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been experiencing progressively worse performance and idling, until I decided to look today and found this hose was somehow ripped or melted off.. What part do I need to replace this?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's it.. Thanks. Is it normal for these to split apart like this? I did change the TBAP harness a couple weeks ago and wasn't sure if that could have anything to do with it.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
The 700s and 800s will split like that over time. The 900s are know for leaking where they mate to the cylinder head but don't usually split.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Kinda think a compression test may be in order.

·
Administrator
7,841 Posts
James, that TB adapter appears to have been going bad for a while. Get a can of carb cleaner and take that throttle body off and clean it and check the airbox for oil stained filter...and>>>>>>>>>check the air box boot for a crack/tear right around where the TBAP sensor goes in. Clean the TBAP sensor with the carb cleaner also... Then do a compression test as RJ said. Both plugs out........wide open throttle and look for 150 psi..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the replacement throttle body adapter in and it's running just about as good as it was - but hope we can make it better.. Need to pick up some carb cleaner so I can do as you suggest, but what adapter do I need for this to do a compression test?
Watch Analog watch Motor vehicle Gauge Font

·
Administrator
7,841 Posts
James, I believe you will need a 14mm adapter for tthe compression tester..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK.. Thank you. I'll probably just pick up a new compression test kit, looks like they aren't very expensive. And maybe a couple deep sockets.. I just tried a 14mm on spark plug and it's too small.. and 15, 16, and 17 are missing :mad:. Most of these tools were inherited from my dad when he passed. I did not inherit his mechanic skills or his (dis)organizational preferences.. Checked the service manual, it helpfully just says "2. Remove spark plugs".

·
Administrator
7,841 Posts
My CT came from HARBOR FREIGHT and included ALL sizes ......about 20 bucks....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: Disconnected TBAP sensor and removed the bolt but it just spins around, couldn't figure out how to remove in order to clean it.. No cracks or tears. Looks like a previous owner may have already replaced this boot, it feels newer and more flexible than the rest.

Attempted a compression test, after about 5 cranks on the one side it was reading 125. But, then it started popping.. I'm probably not doing something right.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to be sure I'm doing the test correctly - am I removing both plugs at the same time, then connecting the tester to each cylinder and cranking 5-8 times, or just remove one plug at a time? Do I need to disable the fuel injectors somehow?

Also - any tips on accessing the TBAP sensor? I couldn't get it separated from the hose/adapter? Jman, tell me how many cases of patron to send your way.........

·
Administrator
7,841 Posts
James, BOTH plugs out ..........WIDE OPEN THROTTLE .........spin about the same number of revolutions per .... I donot disable the injectors but you could if you want to. It would be nice if the motor was warm but that is tough if the engine wont start .. 1 fifth of PATRON is adequate ..

Unbolt the TBAP I think it is a 3/8 wrench and PULL out the sensor........PULL HARD...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK.. so I need not be concerned about the micro explosion noises I'm hearing while running the test? That's why I stopped working on it a few days ago.. Didn't want to damage it further.

We know at least one cylinder is only reaching 125psi then.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts