PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back again with new problems :) Been having intermittent issues starting the Ranger - sometimes when turning the key, I'll hear it spinning without actually engaging anything. No grinding or clicking, just sort of like something is spinning freely. Usually if I wait a few minutes it'll start up then. Would it be the starter solenoid?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Would it be the starter solenoid?
No.

It sounds like your bendix isn't engaging the flywheel. You'll have to pull the flywheel/stator cover and the flywheel and get the bendix in your hand and see what's going on with it. Better yet, just replace it while your in there, aftermarket are not expensive.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
6,755 Posts
Yeah, B is correct, it sounds like the bendix . A common problem on the 2009 .. I remember on some they left some spacer washers out and eventually the bendix would not engage.

·
6,755 Posts
Ok, is this what I'd need? Or is there a more reputable place for parts?

I like to use CALTRIC for this kind of knock off but YES......that is what you need. Becareful to NOT sink the flywheel puller bolts to deep and damage the stator.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I'm following the service manual (and keeping in mind that I'm somewhat mechanically incompetent), am I starting right at section 3.35 "Starter Drive Bendix Removal / Inspection", or do I need to back it up and remove more stuff to get to that? And I just need to go to step #7?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also does it make sense to just replace the starter while I'm there with the flywheel removed?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
So if I'm following the service manual (and keeping in mind that I'm somewhat mechanically incompetent), am I starting right at section 3.35 "Starter Drive Bendix Removal / Inspection", or do I need to back it up and remove more stuff to get to that? And I just need to go to step #7?
You need to do steps 1-4, 6 and 7. There is no need to remove the starter, they can be done separate.
Also does it make sense to just replace the starter while I'm there with the flywheel removed?
The bendix is inside where the starter is on the outside.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, sounds good. How likely is it that I'll need to replace the items in 6 and 7, should I just find/order those as well?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Six is just referring to one part of he bendix but the bendix is replaced as an assembly. For seven they are referring to the bushing which I'm not sure if it's available separately.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts