PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

2010 Ranger 800XP Starts Running Rough When Idling

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Splotch6911 
#1 ·
My 2010 800XP starts and runs fine. The problem is that it begins running rough after idling for a short time - the longer it idles the rougher it gets. Running it at a high RPM after idling seems to clear it up and it runs fine, including acceleration. It's almost like it 'loads up' at idle, but how/why would fuel injection do that?

I've cleaned the air cleaner and added fuel additive to clear any water in the fuel. Again, it appears to accelerate and operate okay at normal speeds.

I bought a full pressure tester, however, it won't work on the Polaris fuel line fittings.

Anybody run into this issue or have advice on what's going on and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Scott

#2 ·
Scott, really need to know what that fuel pressure is ....

Check the throttle body adapter for cracking where it bolts on to the head. Most of the time you can just 'lean' on it a little bit and the crack will show itself.

The TBAP & TPS harness should be checked for chaffing and broken wire. They like to break a wire or two where they enter the connector or rub through anywhere. If it has never been changed,it is bad..

Check for stored EFI codes >>>> Trans in neutral............rotate key three times to the "ON' (not start) position, leaving it in the ON position on the third rotation..............Wait.........two digit codes will appear if there are any. 61 is END OF CODES...

#8 ·
Scott, really need to know what that fuel pressure is ....

Check the throttle body adapter for cracking where it bolts on to the head. Most of the time you can just 'lean' on it a little bit and the crack will show itself.

The TBAP & TPS harness should be checked for chaffing and broken wire. They like to break a wire or two where they enter the connector or rub through anywhere. If it has never been changed,it is bad..

Check for stored EFI codes >>>> Trans in neutral............rotate key three times to the "ON' (not start) position, leaving it in the ON position on the third rotation..............Wait.........two digit codes will appear if there are any. 61 is END OF CODES...
Thanks. I wasn't aware I could access the fault codes.

#7 ·
I just measured and they do look like they are the same spacing, height, etc. The 800s have a damper on the end as do all of the more modern rails. Not sure if that would make a difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.