PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the fuel pump because it failed. upon changing, I noticed the filter screen had a hole in it and when I tried to power the pump on my bench, the fuel level potentiometer? smoked so I know its bad.
Engine starts but stutters until reved. Cooling fan won't come on and no fuel level on dash.
No codes pull up but shows the "check engine" light.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No issues prior. We recently had some unusual cold weather here (New Orleans area) Months before that, I replaced the battery and kept it on a trickle charger periodically.
After the cold snap, I went out to start my Ranger and couldn't get it to light off. Noticed the fuel pump wasn't coming on. Remove the block off cap on the fuel rail and no fuel or pressure. That when I replaced the pump. It'll start and idle, but it misses. It'll clean up at 2000RPM but falls back to a miss at lower RPMs.
I was thinking plug wires but not sure if those go bad with only 165 miles on the machine. Looked for any chewed wires that a rat may have gotten to but everything is still like new. Cooling fan doesn't come on neither. Swapped relays but no progress

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fan jumps out at the plug and runs. So fan is not locked up. Took relay out, has 14vdc and the two most forward terminals. looked under the fuse/relay box and can see an orange/brown wire goes to one side of fan plug.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you disconnect the wires from the coolant temp sensor on the engine set your parking braked and turn the key on the fan should come on. This should test the circuit that turns the fan on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try the unplugging the coolant sensor. If the fan doesn't come on, what do you recommend after that?
Thank you. I really appreciate the help

·
Registered
272 Posts
I believe the manual says to test the fan you have verified that. I would say the next thing would be the coolant sensor I will look when I get home this afternoon for the values you are looking for.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
I read your post wrong if you unplug the sensor and the fan does not operate I would say that it is the wiring or the ecu isn't telling the fan to turn on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, the fan operates with the Coolant Temp Sw disconnected as you suggested. I'm wondering if perhaps the Coolant Temp Sw is at fault?
Thanks for your help friend!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Glad i could help you. Could be a bad sensor when I get home I will look at the book and see what the test values are for the sensor.

·
Registered
272 Posts
This is from the repair manual

The coolant temperature sensor can be tested using an ohmmeter
or voltmeter.
1. With the engine and temperature sensor at room
temperature (68°F = 20°C), disconnect the harness
connector.
2. With the meter in the ohms mode, place the meter leads
onto the sensor contacts.
3. Use the following table to determine if the sensor needs to replaced.

TEMPERATURE °F (°C) RESISTANCE
68 °F (20 °C) 2.5 k Ω ± 6%
212 °F (100 °C) 0.186 Ω ± 2%

Also is the coolant at the correct level?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry for the long delay in response. yes, my ride is running fine now. turned out to be bad spark plugs. after that, the fuel delivery system was corroded with calcium(???) build up. the pump was totally destroyed. replacement was neccessary.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts