PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 800 XP EPS EFI and noticed now that the tie rods on both wheels have movement both at the wheels and the rack and pinion assembly. I am mechanically inclined but have been unsuccessful in a search for repair/replacement procedures. Can anyone point me to a good site or source so I'm not working too much trial and error? Any recommendations on quality brands where I can purchase replacement rack and pinion set? I see several options online.

Thanks,
Scott

2011 Ranger 800 XP EPS EFI
Out in the Woods somewhere

·
Super Moderator
6,838 Posts
I recently purchased a used 800 XP EPS EFI and noticed now that the tie rods on both wheels have movement both at the wheels and the rack and pinion assembly. I am mechanically inclined but have been unsuccessful in a search for repair/replacement procedures. Can anyone point me to a good site or source so I'm not working too much trial and error? Any recommendations on quality brands where I can purchase replacement rack and pinion set? I see several options online.

Thanks,
Scott

2011 Ranger 800 XP EPS EFI
Out in the Woods somewhere
Polaris does not sell the inner tie rods seperately, or components for the rack and pinion. The only thing you can purchase OEM is the outer tie rod ends and the boots or a new rack assembly.

Unisteer has the rackzilla, do not have any experience with this unit so I can not comment.

You can purchase aftermarket inner/outer tie rod ends from high lifter, racertech and a couple of more that I can not remember at this moment. The price of the aftermarket tie rods are almost what you can purchase a complete assembly from Polaris for.

I have replaced a couple of these, I chose complete assemblies over just upgrading inner/outer tie rods.
The last complete Assy that I replaced cost $275

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Toxic-21! I'm going with the rackzilla rack and pinion assembly. Any advice on the install? Can you do all the work from underneath or should I count on hood/dash removal?

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Reactions: SAH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have the service manual which was a must for replacing brake pads on parking brake. Kind of light on rack and pinion. Surely one of us Polaris fans has found the trick to replacing rack and pinion on an 800 with EPS. Otherwise I'll be the first to post once I'm done to provide the steps not to take...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts