PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys/Gals,

I have a 2011 Ranger 800XP that in 2 wheel drive goes straight as an arrow, however when I select AWD or 4WD on the switch the machine pulls left, To correct this i switch back to 2WD, stop the machine, back up several feet, then foward, upon foward the machine is driving straight again. I have while in AWD stopped, backed up then proceded foward with the same pull left result.
Tire pressures were 12 front 16 rear. Front Dif was looked at 6 months ago and ok.
I assume i have a problem in the Front Dif not locking in the left side.
Just looking for a starting point.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
It's possible you have a broken front CV/axle on one side.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As Pyro said and if it pulls left the right has given up.
its unlikely but not out of the question, I had the front end apart in Jan of this year replacing suspension bushings and wheel bearings, I did not see anything questionable, This machine is not used hard, I run on the road on occasion and use AWD/4WD very little, Would a bad sprag in the front dif cause a problem like this?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
2WD here, I would get all four tires off the ground and experiment in all modes. And from what I have read, the fwd doesn't kick in until the rear is slipping. Pulling left is a broken right problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2WD here, I would get all four tires off the ground and experiment in all modes. And from what I have read, the fwd doesn't kick in until the rear is slipping. Pulling left is a broken right problem.
I'm pretty sure in has 4WD and AWD, the switch is a three way, up is AWD center i think is 4WD and down is 2WD
In AWD all 4 should spin unless i have it wrong

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm pretty sure in has 4WD and AWD, the switch is a three way, up is AWD center i think is 4WD and down is 2WD
In AWD all 4 should spin unless i have it wrong
4wd/awd is up. 2wd locked rear center. Turf/open diff bottom.

Sounds like you have something going on in the rear, not the front by your explanation.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
M, my crystal balz are saying that the Sprague in the front gear case is bad. If it was plastic, dump the DEMAND DRIVE fluid and check it.

Reactions: pyromedic

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
M, my crystal balz are saying that the Sprague in the front gear case is bad. If it was plastic, dump the DEMAND DRIVE fluid and check it.
Jm, maybe I'm confused or misreading. Check post 1 and 6. Sounds like he thinks center positions on the switch is awd, and all the way up is 4wd. Which would mean its pulling on him with the diff locked??

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Down is 1wD..........center is 2WD ....Up is 4 WD when the rear wheels lose traction but when a cage is cracked and sticking it can rear it's ugly head anytime and position. How do you break it loose.......??

"stop the machine, back up several feet, then foward, upon foward the machine is driving straight again. "

Reactions: RJ

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Down is 1wD..........center is 2WD ....Up is 4 WD when the rear wheels lose traction but when a cage is cracked and sticking it can rear it's ugly head anytime and position. How do you break it loose.......??

"stop the machine, back up several feet, then foward, upon foward the machine is driving straight again. "
Got the Operator PDF manual and you are correct, on the switch up is AWD, center is 2WD locked and down is 1WD unlocked, I will need to take the machine out tomorrow and run through the test procedures again, I will post the results.
Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

OK heres what i found this am, switch down in 1WD the rig drives straight, move switch to center 2WD locked it pulls left, switch in AWD it pulls left, stop the machine, move the switch down to 1WD back up 10 feet, start driving foward again and it goes straight.
The pull left problem is consistent in 2WD locked and AWD.
Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would put it in the air and see what it is actually doing. Get it on a lift or jack stands I guess. How do you guys get one in the air without a lift? I would use jack stands.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
JM, what say you? Cant see a bad axle causing it? Unless its hanging up somehow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jm, maybe I'm confused or misreading. Check post 1 and 6. Sounds like he thinks center positions on the switch is awd, and all the way up is 4wd. Which would mean its pulling on him with the diff locked??
Hi RJ, I was incorrect on the switch operation, up is AWD center is 2WD locked, down is 1WD

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Hi RJ, I was incorrect on the switch operation, up is AWD center is 2WD locked, down is 1WD
I know, I pointed that out to you in post #8.

Your rear tires the same size and brand correct?

·
Registered
180 Posts
If his test eliminated something in the front and I'm not so sure it has, it would have to be something in the differential since it doesn't do it in turf mode.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts