PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issue that I cannot track down, and it may be pretty simple but I need some direction. At random times, I cannot pinpoint any specific situation, the check engine light will flash on and I will lose all power for a few short seconds, then the light goes off and it runs fine. It does it with the engine temp is hot or cold, the actual outside temp doesn't make any difference, and it does it at random speeds. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Have you checked for stored codes?

·
6,994 Posts
Yep, codes and then electrical connections and have the battery load tested.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
A very hard problem to diagnose until the problem gets worse or like others said you get some stored codes to go off of.

When you say "loses power" I assume you mean engine power not electronic power? Checking the battery cables to make sure they're tight might be a good start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am very new to the Ranger world, when I purchased this I did not receive an owners manual so I was not even aware I could look up stored codes by myself. (Not sure why I didn't think of that tho) That will be the first thing I will check when I get back home from work this evening. Thanks all!

·
6,994 Posts
I am very new to the Ranger world, when I purchased this I did not receive an owners manual so I was not even aware I could look up stored codes by myself. (Not sure why I didn't think of that tho) That will be the first thing I will check when I get back home from work this evening. Thanks all!
ak, here is a link to a 10 dollar Service manual that you can download to your computer or to a thumbdrive and have Kinkos print and bind for about 30 bucks...

http://polaris-utv.servicemanualvault.com/2011-Polaris-Ranger-XP-800-Service-Manual.html

Reactions: fswan

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
In addition to the Service manual that Kris provided the link for (a most excellent manual, I have one for my 2011!), here is a link to the Owners Manual which is a free download. You (and every other Polaris owner) really should have both manuals!
Polaris ATV, Snowmobiles, RANGER, Victory

Reactions: SC Guy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In addition to the Service manual that Kris provided the link for (a most excellent manual, I have one for my 2011!), here is a link to the Owners Manual which is a free download. You (and every other Polaris owner) really should have both manuals!
Polaris ATV, Snowmobiles, RANGER, Victory

Thanks! I actually just printed the owners manual off this morning and got it in a binder. Service manual next

·
6,994 Posts
LOL....Hold the fort cowboys ......A lot of diagnostic work needs to be done and although it may end up needing a repair sensor harness or two, replacing the entire harness is ludicrous and especially for $1200.00..

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
It really depends on the code you have. I've got an intermittent fault for voltage high on the 2012 my dad has, My local dealer thinks it's either the voltage reg or the stator starting to fail. point is, I'm going to wait for the problem to get worse before I go throwing very expensive parts at it.

Don't change out the harness until you've retrieved the codes and inspect the harness near the engine/back side of the cab area. It's the last job you want to undertake.

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Ditto! Although early in 2011 Polaris changed out a lot of wiring harnesses under warranty, it was discovered later that the problem was isolated to just sensor wiring. Polaris then stopped replacing the entire harness and focused on the sensors. However, changing out the entire harness provided a pretty good revenue stream that some dealers took advantage of (and I suspect, still are!) rather than doing only what was really necessary. How much sense does it make to assume the ENTIRE wiring harness is bad?!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
What happens is grit gets into the wiring loom on the harness. It rubs around in there and eventually wires start shorting out. If you pull that sheath off the main harness along the low point on your rig, you will likely be able to find the problem area. Replace the problem wires and skip the new harness.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts