PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just a quick update. So far so good. Motor is put back together. Just down to connecting harnesses and stuff. Cable cover gasket was shot so had to wait a couple days for a new one, assumed it came with top end kit.

Head was pretty bad. Every valve leaked, seats looked good, valves were very pitted. Spent some time reading and watching videos and lapped the valves. Wasn't bad, took more time than I thought. They seal now.

Little nervous, I should make first start up tomorrow. Never done this before, just followed shop manual, watched D-Rays videos, went slow, and kept everything clean. Really pretty straight forward job(says the guy who hasn't finished!) Lol.

Anyway I'll give another update once I'm done and she's running again. Unless something goes sideways hardest job was installing the circle clips when installing new jug and pistons! Worked 20 minutes, walked away for a bit, then got them in less than 5 minutes, but I was about to call it quits!!
IMG_20201013_184027401.jpg

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Looking good. Sometimes you have to step away for a solution to show. These days, I just sleep on it. Sunrise, problem solved! Heat cycle motor a couple of times before loading it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Really haven't read about break in, guessing you are talking about running half throttle or less for awhile.

What's the train of thought about break in? How many miles before changing oil?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Up to temp and then ambient a couple of times. After that, I drove mine varying the rpms for maybe 10hrs. Some say drive it like you stole it. No heavy loads or wot for a bit. Difference in power now...:cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Finished up my rebuild last night and got first start and ride completed. Thought I was going to fire up a couple days ago, but header was cracked and took longer to patch than I thought.

Fired right up and runs very smooth. Seems to be idling a little fast, but other than that machine sounds great. Took on short ride to start break in, machine is so much more responsive. I don't think I realized how loud and poor idling it had got before I tore down. It seems to run cooler also, not sure why it would, but definitely seemed to. I also replaced exhaust donuts, between them and the repaired header the cab is also a lot more comfortable, heat wasn't just pouring from under the seat.

Job took a little longer than I thought but overall wasn't bad at all. So hopefully nothing pops up in next couple of days.

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I believe 25 hrs if going by a new Polaris Bike. Used conventional oil for the break in here, going by comments.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts