PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning! First time posting, been reading some good stuff so far. I just bought my first Ranger 2 weeks ago! 2011 Ranger 400 HO, all stock, now has 750 hours on it. And I may have an issue...

I was out with it on Sunday and had something weird happen on me. I was running in High down the road for about a 5 minute ride, when I slowed to a stop it kind of jerked a bit and died. Almost like what would happen in a car with manual transmission if you popped the clutch. I turned the key off and I couldn't shift it. I had to rock it a little in order to shift it back in to Neutral to get it to start back up. Once it started back up, I tried to throw it in gear and it did the same thing, kind of leaped forward, made a clunk and died. Got it back in neutral and got it in to low, drove a bit stopped, put it in neutral and shut if off. Came back about 5 minutes later, started up and everything was fine. Drove it back down the 5 minute drive came to a stop and same thing happened. This time when I started it back up and tried to go in gear it made some grinding noises like it couldn't find the gear.

Idle is fine so it is not the high idle issue. The part that is confusing is even when it is shutoff it still wouldn't shift till I rocked it a little. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
sounds like belt or primary clutch bearing T&S

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response. If it was the belt, would it still not let me shift out of gear when it was off? Anything I can do verify one versus the other without pulling the cover off? If not, what do I need to look for with the cover off? Should the primary spin freely, secondary spin, etc.? And with this being an intermittent issue, will that throw a curve ball in my diagnostics? Thanks.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thank you for the response. If it was the belt, would it still not let me shift out of gear when it was off? Anything I can do verify one versus the other without pulling the cover off? If not, what do I need to look for with the cover off? Should the primary spin freely, secondary spin, etc.? And with this being an intermittent issue, will that throw a curve ball in my diagnostics? Thanks.
If this issue was directly related to the drive belt you wouldn't likely have difficulty shifting gears while the engine was off. However, there is still a possibility that this is a clutch-related issue. Once you pull the clutch housing, outer cover, with the engine off, the primary clutch shouldn't turn but if the transmission is in neutral, the secondary clutch should turn freely. Inspect the belt for excess wear and do the same for both clutches, making sure there are not cracks, grooves, etc. The primary clutch does ride on a bearing but once it begins to fail I don't believe that it will bind, producing enough force to stop the engine from spinning...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good. Not sure when I'll get to work on it being hunting season but when I do, what if everything looks good in the clutch. Where do I go from there? Is it possible the tranny is failing on me?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sounds good. Not sure when I'll get to work on it being hunting season but when I do, what if everything looks good in the clutch. Where do I go from there? Is it possible the tranny is failing on me?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
It's certainly a possibility...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever find out what the problem was I'm having the same problem with my 2011 polaris ranger 400 ho with 725 hours

1 - 7 of 7 Posts