PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I've been reading through several past topics and haven't seen exactly what can connect with this. If there are any, please feel free to let me know where so this doesn't have to be rediscussed.

Issues:
- Ranger began overheating recently (within last two months)
- No overheating issues while ranger is moving (only issue is during idle)
- Will overheat as it idles (eventually dies)
- Fan is blowing and kicks on fine
- Radiator gets hot
- As of recent, ranger would rev high at spurts while idling and go back to normal idle
- Coolant levels are normal and have not blown out

What do I have going on? Thank you for any help you can give me. I am getting ready to go into the hunting season with a lot of travel into some deep backcountry; I have to get this figured out!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Sounds like thermostat is stuck shut. Remove thermostat, put cap back on and it shouldn't overheat anymore

·
Registered
204 Posts
Not sure I like the idea of running without a themostat as it helps bring the engine up to operating temp faster which lowers the condensation that will build up in the oil tank and crank case. It is possible its stuck shut causing the problem. Are you absolutly sure the rad isnt full of dirt? I was having similar problems with my 400, removed the rad to get a better look at it and found the front clean the back clean the middle of the fins are packed solid. Took an hour to wash it clean with it out of the machine. Sprayed one direction then the other. Was only able to get it about 95% clean. Some spots just wouldnt clear. Start with whatever is easier (rad or thermostat). Thermostat is also very easy to test, once its out toss it in a pot of water and bring to a boil. See if it opens.

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
I agree, the radiator is suspect. They get clogged really easy.
Pulling the thermostat can cause it to overheat more. The water needs time to sit in the radiator to cool off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Guys,
Thank you for responding.
Took a good close look at the radiator and it is clear and clean.
Pulled the thermostat and tested it out; this is the culprit; going to install a new one and go from there.
I appreciate the replies and look forward to being in the forum. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I figured that was the issue. If it easy radiator it would overheat string still or running down trail, not one or the other.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I just had a similar problem ended up pulling the radiator out an behind fan of an was really caked up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts