PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2011 Ranger 800 XP, lets just say when i get on it in the mornings, before i can get a 1/4 mile the check engine light comes on and it instantly starts running rough/ragged (almost as if its starving for fuel). it not only does it in the morning, but anytime i get on it. it doesnt matter if the engine is cold or if its been running and warm.
it warms up enough for the fan to come on but never runs hot. fan comes on...seems to do the job of cooling it down (according to the temp gauge on the dash). but im at a loss. its not a mud machine, i use it around the farm doing normal activities..no mud at all, but dust is a normal here. i use ethanol free fuel. i have been thinking it could be a fuel filter...but according to some, it doesn't have an inline fuel filter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
If the ck engine light is coming on, it is probably showing a code as well - owners manual shows how to display the codes. Let us know what those codes are. First guess would be a bad fuel pump. Check the gas tank vent tube to make sure it is not blocked, then check the pressure - it should be 45 psi (+/- 2 psi). It should maintain that pressure all the time; cold, hot, @idle, and under a load. if it doesn't, a new fuel pump is probably in your future.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Might also check air filter if dust is a problem. Also reroute fuel tank vent line and install filter on line to help keep out water and dirt.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I second the broken wires. Had same prob. Easy fix. I didn't do mine but let the dealer myself.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I'd have to agree with teh above. Probably broken wires leading to the TPS or IAC. I've seen a lot of those issues on the 2011 models. But as Forde suggested, I'd definitely rule out a fuel pump problem before chasing a wire issue that may be nonexistent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has the TPS Wire recall been done ? If not, look at the wires going into the TPS, There should be no loop at the connector , If there is You will need to pull them up tight to the back of the connector and zip strip them tight.. Should take care of the problem. If not, like said before, it's probably a broken wire... I just went through this on My 11 Crew

·
Registered
15 Posts
2014-10-24 18.13.22.jpg 2014-10-24 18.13.44.jpg 20130511_160443.jpg 20130511_160945.jpg 20130511_161035.jpg
Mine did the same it was broken & shorted wires at the connector of the IAC. I ordered the IAC Kit-Harness Polaris part # 2878507

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's some wires in front of the shift lever. A white connector wires going into the engine case. The cam pos. senser. A bunch of wires tie wraped together. Have it running and move , pull on the wires. If a broken wire is there engine will stop. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Our two 2011s we've had here on our ranch have actually had less wiring harness trouble than our 2012. which is the only one to have ever ruined a harness to the point of needing to replace it.

All of them however have chaffed wires in the harness. and it will run very GOOFY when this happens. trace all your wires from the TPS, IAC, and Tmap sensors back to the main harness. I like to have the engine running while I'm tracing the wires to see if the engine starts running differently while I move the wires. it could indicate where you need to strip back the tape of the harness and check. IF nothing on the small harnesses, trace them all the way back to the main harness. Tip the bed up, unhook the main harness from the chassis where it runs along the back, pull back the split loom and look the harness over VERY good. Many times I've found problems where the split loom was just vibrating against the harness and would bare 5 wires off to the point of breakage, or contact with each other.... you must be aggressive when looking this harness over. If you skip it, it might take alot longer to find your problem.

A fuel pump could be causing it, not ruling that out, but broken or bare wires are much more common.

My 2011s usually go through a fuel pump about every 800 hours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts